Rehab of a 1988 Weber Genesis Junior

Phil,
I think Ron's Jr. was from when they changed to the "second generation" wheels. They later went to ones with a "flower" or "snowflake" white on black design. Now they seem to have changed to dark gray with black tread.

Those very early first generation ones are hard to find and almost always are well worn with missing letters. The plastic dries out and become brittle. We have had some here do really nice work repainting them. The hard part is to remove the white piece without it falling apart. I know of no place to buy replacements. I know you are willing to do custom work, so maybe someone could remake the white inserts using a 3-D printer. It has been done for the newer wheels.

Phil,
I think Ron's Jr. was from when they changed to the "second generation" wheels. They later went to ones with a "flower" or "snowflake" white on black design. Now they seem to have changed to dark gray with black tread.

Those very early first generation ones are hard to find and almost always are well worn with missing letters. The plastic dries out and become brittle. We have had some here do really nice work repainting them. The hard part is to remove the white piece without it falling apart. I know of no place to buy replacements. I know you are willing to do custom work, so maybe someone could remake the white inserts using a 3-D printer. It has been done for the newer wheels.
Anybody tried these?

A friend of mine owns a 3D printer is actually working on a more detailed print. 😁
When I do a proper rehab, I'm also focusing on the details. It's kind of my problem 😅
I've a bunch of new wheels, but it just doesn't feel right to use them for this project.....
Btw these are the first tries.
I'm confident that I'll have some proper whitewall replacements soon 👍
In the meanwhile another friend finished the custom flavorizer bars for the Jr. I'm waiting for the shipment 🥰
And many thanks to @Jon Tofte who send me the link to the decal of the fuel gauge... I've printed them instantly and cannot wait to attach them to my Jr. 😁

Attachments

• B1F9A139-AFF8-4226-A186-A81C5CE714BA.jpeg
    B1F9A139-AFF8-4226-A186-A81C5CE714BA.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
  • C9C6C728-67A7-497F-8AC0-7EB5EBEE74AC.jpeg
    C9C6C728-67A7-497F-8AC0-7EB5EBEE74AC.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 414A5C52-8E56-469D-B6FE-0C4E1FB2C913.jpeg
    414A5C52-8E56-469D-B6FE-0C4E1FB2C913.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 95C7AFEC-E391-49C7-9B17-3CAF24F1EA89.jpeg
    95C7AFEC-E391-49C7-9B17-3CAF24F1EA89.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 6
Anybody tried these?

That's pretty cool. I never saw one for that early wheel before. I am with Bruce that it isn't for your basic flip, but then again, a very early Genesis probably would never be a "basic" flip. I might go for a set and use one on the front and a repainted original on the back side and stretch the purchase to two grills.

Back