Regulator issue on my Platinum Genesis?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I have not used my trusty gasser in a while and now I might have a regulator problem but I am not sure. When turning on all 3 valves the gas pressure goes down and flames go down to minimum.
When I light the first and second burner all is fine but as soon as I open a third burner valve the flames go down to a minimum on all three burner tubes. Also the typical gas flow sound on the regulator disappears. Like the regulator limits gas flow when I turn up more than two burners. And it does not matter which burners.
It does not happen all the time but most of the time right now. Last week it would only work after I switched off all vales several times. Yesterday the pressure would only stay up with 3 burners after the other two had been running for a while.
The tank is still 50% full. I assume the regulator is acting up since I cannot think of anything else.

Thanks

here's how I'd test it.

Plan A:
- turn off supply at tank; open all burners to High including side burner. disconnect the hose from the tank, lightly bang the regulator against the tank.
- turn all burners to off including the side burner. reconnect hose to tank ensuring it is tightly connected. Turn on gas supply at tank.
- Light front burner, ( high ) light middle burner ( high ) light back burner ( high )

how do they look? If all better then its all better. if not got to plan B

Plan B: swap a new tank in and re-do Plan A

Plan C: swap in a new hose with regulator, and re-do Plan A

If it is still not working, I would remove the manifold pull out the burners and blow out any spiders, or other detritus that may have moved in.

If it is still not working then the only thing left is the valves on the manifold.

good luck and let us know what fixes it.

Thanks. I am going to need some more propane anyhow and will test once I have a new tank. Funny, since after all the grills I restored I never came across a similar problem.

I've had this happen to me a couple of times over the years. Once it was the tank, other time it was the regulator. That's one of the nice things about these old Weber gassers, the trouble shooting process is fairly straightforward. You'll figure it out quickly enough.

Back