Redhead restore/OTS to OTG mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian J

TVWBB Member
I thought I would share some pics of my new Redhead. I traded a 15$ CL black OTS for a "pretty beat" red OTS (N) with no ash tray and the one touch handle was broken off. This trade went down with my neighbor who fires his his kettle up only on holidays. He was sure he got the better end of the deal because the kettle he got was in perfect shape, "what can I say, I take care of my grills".
Since the redhead came with the one touch system totaly gone I decided to try a OTS to OTG modification or in this case simply installing the OTG ring and bowl to what I had. After reviewing and collecting part #`s from the schematic of a (N) mastertouch "that I don`t own", I new it was not going to be a "plug and play" type of project, I was expecting some modding for sure. After getting the run around with Weber cuctomer service about not being able to order parts for a grill I don`t own was frustrating. They also said it was a safety concern to mod any weber grill and they would not sell me the parts I requested. Finnaly, I had to call weber back and "fib" that I owned a certain grill that i don`t, to order the parts I wanted. Does that make sense?
Sorry for the long wind. I hope somebody gets a chuckle out of this.
Besides the OTG updrade. I sanded the handles. Gave her a clean up touched up some chips and scratches with some high temp paint(rated to 1200 degrees F. The paint didn`t match great, it was a flat finish, but it looks allot better than it did
I am really pleased with how it came out. Its not perfect but its nice.
Here is a couple pics how I got the OTG mod to work. She is solid[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I did the same thing with my "H" Redhead with the OTG ring and Ash bowl, but I robbed the parts from a $50 CL find,(It had a new Weber rotisserie also). Anybody want a Black OTS? It'll be cheap.
After getting the run around with Weber customer service about not being able to order parts for a grill I don`t own was frustrating.
Been there, heard that. I have to call back and order replacement parts for my "other"
icon_wink.gif
SS Performer. You know, the one that "has"
icon_rolleyes.gif
the Touch-N-Go ignition system.
But if that gets me the parts and saves them from any future lawsuit, I can deal with it.

I think it was around 35 bucks after shipping and handling. In that ballpark anyway (Kinda high, I know). Not only that, the bowl was black like on the new stuff. I gave customer service part #`s for an (N) mastertouch. They forgot to mention that "all we have are black bowls, regardless of your part #". I ended up swapping the black bowl with my 2001 black Performer. The black on black does look pretty good, fortunatly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back