Red Head Genesis Rehab

Don’t like the Ralph’s lid. Will be replacing it with my other red one.
Yah, I like logo lids, but that one doesn't do much for me.

How hard is it to find a grey genesis lid?
They are one of the more rare ones.

Which thermometer is best for the one circular one on the lid? Weber? Import or are there better options?
You can buy aftermarket ones for about $15 or a bit less

Caster wheels. What does everyone replace those with? Same cheap plastic ones?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HYY0L8/?tag=tvwb-20

Condiments rack. Can one add a condiment rack to these like the skyline genesis?
Yep but you have to find one.

Any must do / have modification or accessories?
I vote for SS solid rod grates to start

Don’t like the Ralph’s lid. Will be replacing it with my other red one.
Yah, I like logo lids, but that one doesn't do much for me.

How hard is it to find a grey genesis lid?
They are one of the more rare ones.

Which thermometer is best for the one circular one on the lid? Weber? Import or are there better options?
You can buy aftermarket ones for about $15 or a bit less

Caster wheels. What does everyone replace those with? Same cheap plastic ones?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HYY0L8/?tag=tvwb-20

Condiments rack. Can one add a condiment rack to these like the skyline genesis?
Yep but you have to find one.

Thanks a lot for the reply Bruce! I’ve been searching for a grey lid. Make sense now why they don’t pop up like the redheads.

Yes on the SS items. SS flavor bars were done by my neighbor and he’ll also be doing some SS grates. He has a fabrication company that deals with metals etc.

Anyone use a wifi thermometer? Any other accessories one needs?

Depending on your level of expertise as a chef, if I were starting over my first acquisitions would be a timer and an instant read thermometer. a good spatula/turner and a pair of long-handled tongs, and some means of cleaning the grates (avoiding wire brushes).

The thermometer is not in a good location in my view...I only use it to tell whether I have run out of propane. The Silvers have a much better location, in the center of the lid, but still only useful for reference. You might want to consider an IR gun for measuring grate temps (down the road, that is.)

Anyone use a wifi thermometer? Any other accessories one needs?

I have a couple of wi-fi thermometers, but the one I really like is the HeaterMeter (there is a forum here on TVWBB dedicated to it). I also have the ThermoWorks Smoke, which is another quality product. Note, though, that the HeaterMeter is the only true Wi-Fi thermometer that I am familiar with...the Meater, the Smoke and the Maverick are wireless but proprietary systems.

Last edited:
Oh, I have the thermoworks smoke remote thermometer. It is one of the higher rated ones. I love mine. It takes all the guess work out of a cook.

They just had an awesome sale on refurbished ones and the they do put the new ones on sale fairly often.

Then you are going to want a rotisserie as well.

Two thumbs up on the rotisserie! That's 'way up there on the list, especially with Thanksgiving just around the corner. My wife asked me today if I was going to roti a turkey this year.

She's a planner.

I roto a turkey every year for Thanksgiving. Then I let the wife deal with most of the side dishes. She like that as the oven is free for the side dishes and pies.

Lalo, if you want a blue, here's your chance...

1600132777431.png

I will post the details in the "I will just leave this here" thread.

Hah, I could not get rid of a gray lid I had here and it ended up in the trash

Not sure what to do with my grey lid either. Wife doesn't like it, so keeping the black one on for now. Not sure how popular grey would be if i put it on one of the rehabs. But haven't tried yet. Too late in the season to try to sell a rehabbed grill at this point for me.

Clean it up and keep it for a change of pace on your current grill.

my wife doesn't want our backyard littered with bbq parts. Currently have 2 frames, 3 cook boxes. So trying to put at least a couple together to give to friends / sell. But it's been a busy summer so fixing up the bbq's have been slow going.

I did see a green lid that would look great, but can't justify bringing home another bbq. :D

Depending on your level of expertise as a chef, if I were starting over my first acquisitions would be a timer and an instant read thermometer. a good spatula/turner and a pair of long-handled tongs, and some means of cleaning the grates (avoiding wire brushes).

The thermometer is not in a good location in my view...I only use it to tell whether I have run out of propane. The Silvers have a much better location, in the center of the lid, but still only useful for reference. You might want to consider an IR gun for measuring grate temps (down the road, that is.)

I have a couple of wi-fi thermometers, but the one I really like is the HeaterMeter (there is a forum here on TVWBB dedicated to it). I also have the ThermoWorks Smoke, which is another quality product. Note, though, that the HeaterMeter is the only true Wi-Fi thermometer that I am familiar with...the Meater, the Smoke and the Maverick are wireless but proprietary systems.

Ordered a good spatula & long tongs. I need a good brush. No wires I've come to learn. Plastic bristles any good? Wooden paddle scrapper? This grill will be using both stainless and cast iron grates.

I have to look into the thermometers and do some more research.

I just got an onlyfire rotisserie / pizza combo for a kettle. Rotisserie is a must for this grill. Which do you recommend for this genesis? #9890?

Been working on this as time permits. Brush it down until it’s raw aluminum color inside?

Attachments

• FF1BE287-D5D1-425D-8A54-6CC8953A5F0D.jpeg
    FF1BE287-D5D1-425D-8A54-6CC8953A5F0D.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 4912B4E3-8EFA-46E5-8EB7-C951473EEBC8.jpeg
    4912B4E3-8EFA-46E5-8EB7-C951473EEBC8.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2714B066-5BE1-426C-B414-F334E062F475.jpeg
    2714B066-5BE1-426C-B414-F334E062F475.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 72C7490A-33A7-4EE1-A2BB-22F3BDC5DCF4.jpeg
    72C7490A-33A7-4EE1-A2BB-22F3BDC5DCF4.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 10
Taking the Genesis 3 red lid and putting it on the Genesis 3000 Ralph’s end caps. I noticed the end caps on the Ralph’s lids have the slots for the warming rack. The 85 Genesis 3 end caps doesn’t?

Warming rack replacements. Which are best?

Attachments

• E4187404-F872-4931-92A8-FE3C686EAAB1.jpeg
    E4187404-F872-4931-92A8-FE3C686EAAB1.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 80343A1D-BD02-45A7-B119-95FA45140248.jpeg
    80343A1D-BD02-45A7-B119-95FA45140248.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 350FB39F-F7DB-4ADA-B393-87315E9010D1.jpeg
    350FB39F-F7DB-4ADA-B393-87315E9010D1.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 126C8978-8F5B-4237-BF50-65DC8C0FFFC6.jpeg
    126C8978-8F5B-4237-BF50-65DC8C0FFFC6.jpeg