Red Head Genesis Grill

I recently have picked up a really clean red head Genesis Grill and I believe it is Genesis 2000 but not sure. It has real wood side tables on both the left and the right extending beyond where the control knobs are plus a wooden shelf where most have a metal tray beneath the grill. I am just trying to identify what series of the Genesis grill this is.

ThanksWeber Red Head.jpg

Last edited:
If it has casters on the left it's a 2000 if not it is a Genesis 2. In either case it's a VERY early 2000 of there are casters

Here is a pic. I just went out to the garage and pulled it out for a quick pic...excuse the beer. Any help in identifying this will be appreciated. I picked it from a senior couple that were moving for $25.Weber Red Head.jpg

No need to excuse beer. But that needs to go in the fridge pronto. Warm beer cannot be excused. 😂
That grill is an early Weber Genesis 2. Mid to late 80s. No caster wheels left, old style control panel with embedded igniter rocker switch. And the thin rimmed wheels.
And the old style fold up table without the slider.

That’s the same grill I have and still going strong. Recently gave her a tuneup and changed out all the bolts to stainless steel.

No need to excuse beer. But that needs to go in the fridge pronto. Warm beer cannot be excused. 😂
That grill is an early Weber Genesis 2. Mid to late 80s. No caster wheels left, old style control panel with embedded igniter rocker switch. And the thin rimmed wheels.
And the old style fold up table without the slider.

Did the Genesis 2's of that era have the serial number sticker on them, and if not, how could you ever identify it?

Were the vertical legs on the left of the Genesis 2 longer that they were on the 2000 to accommodate for the lack of the caster wheels?
Minus the lack of casters (which could easily have been broken and removed) this grill looks exactly like my 1993 Gen 2000. The only exception would be the flip up table with just the rod and no attaching slide rail. I am interested because I have a similar grill that I got for parts, it came with no serial number sticker and am wondering if it is this old of a grill.

IIRC the 2000 would have been 92/93 introduction. My dad bought one when they first came out. He still has it and it's still cooking great. The one in your photo is a Genesis 2 I would say somewhere in the 1990 to 1992 ish. IIRC the pre 1990 had horizontal/wider slats. I had the exact same grill as this and gave it to my daughter and son in law a couple years back as a housewarming gift. I bought it brand new as a floor "leftover" when the x000 ones were being introduced. Yes the left side legs were longer. On my Genesis 2 I actually cut them off about 1.5" IIRC and installed casters. And I installed a side burner so my 2 became a 3 but then became a 3000.
Anyway you did awfully good on that

Yah, the legs on the left were longer on the Gen 1-5. Even the older wood Genesis 1000-5000 had the rod without the slider. I don't think the slider was introduced until the Durawood grills came out in about 1996.

The lack of caster wheels is the dead give away that a grill is a Gen 1-5, but there might be some more minor differences. I seem to remember there being one more significant one, but I cannot think of it right now.

I do believe the Genesis 1-5 grills had a serial number sticker on them, but they don't readily convert to a date like the newer serial numbers do.

Yah, the legs on the left were longer on the Gen 1-5. Even the older wood Genesis 1000-5000 had the rod without the slider. I don't think the slider was introduced until the Durawood grills came out in about 1996.

The lack of caster wheels is the dead give away that a grill is a Gen 1-5, but there might be some more minor differences. I seem to remember there being one more significant one, but I cannot think of it right now.

I do believe the Genesis 1-5 grills had a serial number sticker on them, but they don't readily convert to a date like the newer serial numbers do.
Nope wrong. My dad's is one of the first 2000 grills. Has wood and the slide type side table.

I also have a 1993 Gen 2000 serial number KN2, it has wood table with the slide rail type table design.

Hmmmm, I thought there might be some overlap. I just don't think I have ever found a wood 1000 with the slider. Maybe they started out putting them on the 2000+ wood grills???

My 1993 wood Genesis 1000 (KL1) had the clip, but I retrofitted a slider to it. The mounting holes and everything were already there.

Not sure. My dad's is a 2000 converted to a 3000 BTW he bought it in Arlington Heights IL which is literally right down the street from Weber's old Palatine factory where his was made. So maybe dealers in that area got new stuff before others. Anyway they got theirs in either late 1992 or very early 1993

Here is a pic. I just went out to the garage and pulled it out for a quick pic...excuse the beer. Any help in identifying this will be appreciated. I picked it from a senior couple that were moving for $25.

Provided not much rust, that is an awesome score. I have the basic genesis 1000, and really want the wider frame from a 2000 to 5000 next. I'm always on the lookout for a rust free one to swap my parts onto. Maybe later this summer I'll finally find one.

Back