Recycled Charcoal Question

M,

I'm with a lot of other posts. I reuse charcoal all the time, but only on my grills. I have found that when I use leftover charcoal I get a hotter heat. My current practice is to keep a bucket with any leftover charcoal in it. When I cook next time on a grill I light half or 2/3 of a chimney of new charcoal, spread the prepped coals on the grate, then add some leftover coals to the lit coals. I let that sit for 7 or 8 minutes and I have a smoking hot grill. If I'm too lazy to collect the leftovers after a cook, the next time I grill I still prep less than a full chimney and pour them over the leftovers which have been stirred to lose the ash and spread to cover the grate. Again I let this mix sit for a few minutes and voila! Better heat, less cost. And I always close my vents after cooking so I always get new leftovers (no pun intended). Good luck on whatever you do.

Same as others... recycle unused briqs for next time I grill (they go in first to bottom of chimney, followed by fresh lumps), each smoke is always started w/ new brigs though

I started using briquettes for the first year or so I had my WSM, but swapped over to hardwood lump charcoal (the 'wicked good charcoal' brand and yes, I'm from New England!) last summer and haven't looked back. I always reuse the unburned charcoal. I just leave them on the bottom, cover with new charcoal, and use the Minion method with a small amount of new hardwood lump in the chimney. I've never had a problem with it.

Good luck!

Back