Recommendations for rust proofing casters

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
After less than two years on our beach house deck, these Amazom sourced casters have rusted into useless chunks of metal with PVC wheels. The ball bearing swivels survived fine but the ball bearing wheel axels completely rusted.
I found ones at Harbor Freight that use a pin/shaft axel that I think, if treated and maintained properly, will survive for at least a few years.
I've tried using Fluid Film in the past with some decent results.
Would appreciate any input as to paint, primer and rust prevention solutions. TIA
Old:
1000010283.jpg

New:
1000010284.jpg

Standard casters just don't hold up to salt air. If you can justify the cost difference, you'll find something here that will do much better.

Yeah, I think the only thing is generously applying something to block it. Your Fluid Film is one, our local Farm and Fleet sells spray that is clear and very thin to penetrate crevices and such. Then "solidifies" into a grease type of coating. It works really well.. Smells quite strongly though. Until the solvent portion of the fluid evaporates.

Standard casters just don't hold up to salt air. If you can justify the cost difference, you'll find something here that will do much better.

Yah...$154/casterx20 casters...no thanks.

Yeah, I think the only thing is generously applying something to block it. Your Fluid Film is one, our local Farm and Fleet sells spray that is clear and very thin to penetrate crevices and such. Then "solidifies" into a grease type of coating. It works really well.. Smells quite strongly though. Until the solvent portion of the fluid evaporates.
That worked for the ones in the backyard near the pool sitting on concrete. I think they need 1-2 applications a year though and that's ok. I bought this stuff yesterday at HF...I'm thinking a decent rust preventive spray paint followed by a healthy coating of this stuff once dry.1000010285.jpg

Eastman chassis black, i think they sell small pint cans, wipe down areas to be coated with alcohol or paint thinner, tape off the wheel rubber if spraying. then coat two light coats will do it then you can use any spray paint you like to paint a color you want. i used this on the lower cabinet of Genesis 310 that was rusting badly and it has held up great fo 10 years, heck it was designed for the Navy so it should work for you

Back