RECOMMEND WOOD TYPE FOR BUTT

Bob K

Hi to all out there--am going to smoke a butt for first time tomorrow and am looking for recommendations on the type of wood for use..
I have oak,hickory,cherry,apple and peach(My neighbor works for the tree unit in my town and drops a load of wood every 4 months for use in my fireplace)
Any help in choice of wood will be greatly appreciated

To all out there--i have learned so much from this b/b--many ,many thanks to the kind and helpful group of people out there

bob k

Any of the wood you named works well. If you want a stronger smoke use Oak or Hickory. If you like a milder flavor use cherry, pecan, peach or one of my all time faves is apple.

Hi dale

thank you for your quick response..
i was thinking about mixing cherry and apple ---i used cherry on a turkey breast and my co-workers said it was the best turkey they tasted--am pretty new to smoking but so far my results have been the best eating i have ever had---have done some ribs,turkey and chicken using the ideas from this board and i have not been disappointed---if the butt comes out good i am going to try a shot at an overnight brisket

thanks again
bob k

I'll be using a combo of hickory and apple on the butt I'm smoking this weekend. I just don't think you can beat hickory on a butt.

Butts like a heavy hand when it comes to smoke. I always use several chunks of hickory and back it up with some apple or cherry.

great ideas for smoking---i guess i am going to have to buy some more butts and do 1 every weekend with the different combos's until i find the one my family likes best--there goes the beer budget!!!!!!!!!
thanks again to all you good people out there
bob

HI VIC

THANK YOU
i am in union nj--between newark and elizabeth--near exit 138 on gsp--maybe we can get some more nj boys to start smoking

bob

I don't know about you jersey boys...
icon_smile.gif

Bob, I'm a big hicory fan. So... hickory mixed with about anything - pecan, cherry, whatever. Or, just straight hickory.

after reading all the advice have decided to go with oak and cherry---those 2 seem to have been seasoned longer--the hickory ,apple and peach are still kind of green--will post how the butt came out

I made a butt once with all apple. After having a couple of all hickory butts later, I think I will go back to the apple. I may even try a mix to see what happens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike B.:
I'll be using a combo of hickory and apple on the butt I'm smoking this weekend. I just don't think you can beat hickory on a butt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its not too late... I second the apple hickory combo.

Thanks to all for the input---used oak and cherry--it came out fantastic!!!!
i brought some to work this a.m. and the guys ate all i brought already!
am going to do a brisket this weekend--with all the info from the wonderful people on this board i am sure it will come out just fine
thanks to all again

bob

Bob,

Glad your Butt went well...you can always judge how good it is by how fast it goes!

I grew up in Clifton, NJ just a little north of you. Relocated to Southern Jersey, just over the river from Philly about 15 years ago.

Good luck on the Brisket...my favorite with nice horseradish sauce.

Vic

am I the only one who uses hickory mixed with a little mesquite? Have always used this combo and love the flavor. I only use this combo on the heavier pieces of pork as it tends to over power other items such as poultry.

I use mesquite -- but I'm from Texas.
icon_biggrin.gif

I used hickory on some ribs once and it was too strong for my tastes.

Back