Recognizing an Unhealthy Addictive Impulse

Very, very late to this party, but I will say that I know how this Weber thing can get. I started out salvaging an old redhead that had been pushed to the curb by its owner after a hurricane. It was in pieces and rough, but it was my first WEBER! I experimented with rehabbing using my miniscule accountant's tool collection but with some new parts and patience, I finally had a nice working grill - dented hood not withstanding.

In time, I upgraded to a Genesis Silver B, last year model with black trim and dual fold-up tables. But owning an old Weber and fixing it up got me to thinking about finding another old one and doing the same. Maybe even selling them! Then I discovered TVWBB. I have learned so much about grills and tools. That's good. But with that came an ever-growing exposure to SO MANY cool grills that Weber made (think 1st generation Summit, Genesis Jr and the ultimate: the Vieluxe). I already had the collector bug dating back to when I was a kid. I collected coins (still have those), and then models (I wish I still had those). As an adult I started collecting die cast classic cars and toy submarines that I had when I was young (thanks eBay! :rolleyes: ). That lead to another non-moneymaking "business" of restoring examples of my favorite toy submarine, the Remco Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

I don't think I set out to collect grills, but I have to work hard now at beating down that passion. I would love to have a "grill museum" to rival Tom Horsman's "Land of Grills" except mine would feature more old, classic grills. There is no end to it, but I am TRYING to curb my appetite. I have accumulated so many parts and done some crazy things to get some of them. Mostly Weber, but I have also accumulated some classic PK and Broilmaster grills including the PK "Duchess" and Broilmaster's "double" grill - both SO COOL :cool: .

So, I guess my ramble is of no help to you Roy... I guess just set some reasonable goals and say no to stuff that is outside those bounds. And, be thankful that your wife is supportive!

As an adult I started collecting die cast classic cars and toy submarines that I had when I was young (thanks eBay! :rolleyes: ). That lead to another non-moneymaking "business" of restoring examples of my favorite toy submarine, the Remco Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Wow - I used to LOVE Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, especially the episodes with the flying sub.

Here’s a few pictures of part of my toy submarine collection - especially the Remco Seaview from the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea TV show from the 1960s:

EF401D8F-0281-4C4F-A71A-1C1D8281B41B.jpeg

The box in this next picture is a totally accurate reproduction I made doing a piece by piece copy. The original was my most prized Christmas present in 1965:

90AC94D9-707B-4089-8101-0A78C946C041.jpeg

I also loved the puppet based “Super Marionation” show Stingray which was produced by Jerry Anderson in the UK, better known for his later show Thunderbirds:

58DB0B4E-737E-4C7F-A945-4BAB51375604.jpeg

This is weird. Ordered a drip tray for my Platinum. Cost was about $45. What showed up instead is a set of grates for a Genesis II, 400. Poor guy paid close to $200. I've contacted the seller to arrange to correct the mistake.

Here’s a few pictures of part of my toy submarine collection - especially the Remco Seaview from the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea TV show from the 1960s:

View attachment 45993

The box in this next picture is a totally accurate reproduction I made doing a piece by piece copy. The original was my most prized Christmas present in 1965:

View attachment 45994

I also loved the puppet based “Super Marionation” show Stingray which was produced by Jerry Anderson in the UK, better known for his later show Thunderbirds:

View attachment 45996
Me tv+ has all those puppet shows on Sunday mornings. They bring back the memories of being a kid for sure!

Back