Recognizing an Unhealthy Addictive Impulse

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
The unhealthy addictive impulse isn't really about Weber grills but rather an addictive impulse in myself. Perhaps it's just dopamine hits one gets, just like when gambling or playing video games. I noticed it when there was this sweet little blue lidded grill available quite a distance from me. I immediately wanted it even though there was no reason. I'd just bought a blue lid from Bruce and I had no use for another. Then it got grabbed before I could get there and I was bummed. Ironically, it was Bruce who said not to worry, another would come along soon. And sure enough, just like that, there was another. But before I could grab it, same thing. Someone snatched it out from under me.

That happened this morning and I noticed that I was feeling really down. Significantly enough to call it a touch of depression. Again, I was asking myself why. I still have no need for another lid. In addition to the blue one that Bruce worked really hard to send my way (an effort far exceeded by the sum I paid), I have another sweet burgundy lid which I love. If I got a third, I'd have to store one in the garage or sell it or give it away.

A buddy was going to drive down with me to pick up this grill tonight. Texted to let him know it wasn't happening and he sent back a message similar to Bruce's. Just reminding me that it's no big deal. And again, that human input helped set me straight. Then I spoke to my wife and that helped too. She's a psychologist so she understands these things well. I'm fine with it now. Maybe even a bit relieved because the pull was so strong and impulsive. I had become the effect rather than the cause.

I'm realizing I'm enjoying this hobby but I need to be careful to keep it light. To stay at cause rather than to become grasping and at its effect. That's the challenge but, seeing it this way, through this lens, it feels like a healthy perspective. Using the unhealthy pull as grist for the mill, as a reminder to walk a straight line, to hold my balance and not get sucked in too deep.

As a child, I'd had a similar experience with spectator sports. If my team won, I was happy. If they lost, I didn't want to eat. At some point, I realized I needed to hold it differently and I learned to do that. To enjoy the wins but not suffer the losses. To find aspects to enjoy regardless of the outcome. That seemed particularly important in sports because only one team each year wins the championship. I imagine most sports lovers learn these lessons. Either that, or most suffer.

Since I don't smoke or drink or gamble, one wouldn't typically call me an addictive personality. When I was younger, I think it's safe to say there were times I was addicted to women but these days I'm older and super happily married so my eye doesn't rove. But clearly I'm still succeptible to these pulls. I think there's a way in which most everyone suffers from addictions of one sort or another. From a different angle, they're just part of the human condition. Isn't that what's behind the Torah story of the golden calf? Each of us has golden calves. One find it addressed in many religions. The Buddhists talk about enlightenment as the realization that "no thing" or nothing is better than anything else. In Islam, the same idea is encapsulated in the words "la illaha illa'llah" -- there is no god but God (essentially, there is no thing but the big everything; so it's saying we should keep our focus on that underlying unity).

So, as I was saying, I'm feeling good now. Spent some time playing with my 7 year old son. Now I'm writing here, sharing these ideas. Next up, I'll go out and spend a little time working on my new hobby with these grills. Remembering to breath. Enjoying what's left of this beautiful day. Appreciating my oh-so-limited time on this planet.

Another way to feel good about "missing" a grill is to just imagine that it went to somebody who, for the very first time, is grabbing up a classic vintage Weber and restoring it to like-new condition. I mean, at worst, let's say somebody picks up an old Genesis, and it's pretty beat up. Flavorizers rusted out, burner tubes in less than ideal condition. Even a grill like that is still, to me, better than a tin can Home Depot Benjamin grill, so at the absolute worst somebody is getting a pretty cool machine. And keeping our little used grill economy going. This is why they keep arriving for sale.

Roy, brace yourself for spring. If you're feeling like this now, if you're not careful you'll be moving your table off of your deck to make room for all of the "couldn't pass it up" grills set to arrive online in just a couple of weeks!

Another way to feel good about "missing" a grill is to just imagine that it went to somebody who, for the very first time, is grabbing up a classic vintage Weber and restoring it to like-new condition. I mean, at worst, let's say somebody picks up an old Genesis, and it's pretty beat up. Flavorizers rusted out, burner tubes in less than ideal condition. Even a grill like that is still, to me, better than a tin can Home Depot Benjamin grill, so at the absolute worst somebody is getting a pretty cool machine. And keeping our little used grill economy going. This is why they keep arriving for sale.

Roy, brace yourself for spring. If you're feeling like this now, if you're not careful you'll be moving your table off of your deck to make room for all of the "couldn't pass it up" grills set to arrive online in just a couple of weeks!
I'm sure you're right. When they spill off the deck into the yard, I'll know I've gone insane because the deck itself could probably hold 20. I better not get that far gone. 🙃

The way I keep myself from grabbing every grill that comes along is simple, because I'm capable of doing it myself. I concentrate on one grill at a time, meaning that I don't worry about the next one until the one in front of me is 100% done to my satisfaction. The other thing is that I don't want to end up having to get rid of a bunch of grills that I really have no use for. Quality over quantity, have a few really nice ones over a bunch of half finished or never started on junks.

I think you touch on something that is very common to most of us here. I got over feeling bad about missing out on deals that were for sale hoping that it went to someone who appreciates it. The problem is the free ones. I find I am racing against the scrappers. If they get it, instead of a rehabber, then it is a waste and I feel bad.

There are literally hundreds of other hobbies where this applies. You could go crazy. You have to live inside your own little bubble of existence.

As John Osbourne has said, I don't want to change the world, and I don't want the world to change me!

That impulse is real Roy. Just this afternoon. I waited over 45 minutes in a parking lot waiting for a guy I agreed to buy a Weber 9057 grill out handle light from for $20. Did I need it. No, I have at least three of them now. When he stood me up, I was kind of relieved.

Let’s see...a quick list of things I do or have done that prove my Weber hobby might be a problem:

1. Traveled 6 hours one way to pick up a grill.
2. Search “Weber” on the secondary market sites each morning before bothering to check the weather.
3. Have saved searches and notifications set up on eBay for specific Weber part numbers.
4. Refer to parts I have bought for grills I haven’t even started yet as “inventory”.
5. Bought a Vieluxe on a whim.
6. Lose sleep over anticipation of the next step in a project.
7. Purchased a 12’x24‘ portable garage specifically to use as a grill shop.
8. Added power, heat, a/c, and satellite TV to same garage to work in comfort year round.
9. Worry about running out of grills to work on if I don’t have a dozen or more lined up in queue.
10. Spend way too much time on this forum.

The unhealthy addictive impulse isn't really about Weber grills but rather an addictive impulse in myself. Perhaps it's just dopamine hits one gets, just like when gambling or playing video games. I noticed it when there was this sweet little blue lidded grill available quite a distance from me. I immediately wanted it even though there was no reason. I'd just bought a blue lid from Bruce and I had no use for another. Then it got grabbed before I could get there and I was bummed. Ironically, it was Bruce who said not to worry, another would come along soon. And sure enough, just like that, there was another. But before I could grab it, same thing. Someone snatched it out from under me.

That happened this morning and I noticed that I was feeling really down. Significantly enough to call it a touch of depression. Again, I was asking myself why. I still have no need for another lid. In addition to the blue one that Bruce worked really hard to send my way (an effort far exceeded by the sum I paid), I have another sweet burgundy lid which I love. If I got a third, I'd have to store one in the garage or sell it or give it away.

A buddy was going to drive down with me to pick up this grill tonight. Texted to let him know it wasn't happening and he sent back a message similar to Bruce's. Just reminding me that it's no big deal. And again, that human input helped set me straight. Then I spoke to my wife and that helped too. She's a psychologist so she understands these things well. I'm fine with it now. Maybe even a bit relieved because the pull was so strong and impulsive. I had become the effect rather than the cause.

I'm realizing I'm enjoying this hobby but I need to be careful to keep it light. To stay at cause rather than to become grasping and at its effect. That's the challenge but, seeing it this way, through this lens, it feels like a healthy perspective. Using the unhealthy pull as grist for the mill, as a reminder to walk a straight line, to hold my balance and not get sucked in too deep.

As a child, I'd had a similar experience with spectator sports. If my team won, I was happy. If they lost, I didn't want to eat. At some point, I realized I needed to hold it differently and I learned to do that. To enjoy the wins but not suffer the losses. To find aspects to enjoy regardless of the outcome. That seemed particularly important in sports because only one team each year wins the championship. I imagine most sports lovers learn these lessons. Either that, or most suffer.

Since I don't smoke or drink or gamble, one wouldn't typically call me an addictive personality. When I was younger, I think it's safe to say there were times I was addicted to women but these days I'm older and super happily married so my eye doesn't rove. But clearly I'm still succeptible to these pulls. I think there's a way in which most everyone suffers from addictions of one sort or another. From a different angle, they're just part of the human condition. Isn't that what's behind the Torah story of the golden calf? Each of us has golden calves. One find it addressed in many religions. The Buddhists talk about enlightenment as the realization that "no thing" or nothing is better than anything else. In Islam, the same idea is encapsulated in the words "la illaha illa'llah" -- there is no god but God (essentially, there is no thing but the big everything; so it's saying we should keep our focus on that underlying unity).

So, as I was saying, I'm feeling good now. Spent some time playing with my 7 year old son. Now I'm writing here, sharing these ideas. Next up, I'll go out and spend a little time working on my new hobby with these grills. Remembering to breath. Enjoying what's left of this beautiful day. Appreciating my oh-so-limited time on this planet.
There are definitely worse addictions to have than Weberitis lol. But I agree it can get overwhelming. What has helped me is that I do one grill at a time. Flip and sell. I typically dont keep them, but sometimes I do. I found a vieluxe id HAVE to get or a 5000 w the glass doors. But other than that im content w getting a grill, fixing it, selling it.

Let’s see...a quick list of things I do or have done that prove my Weber hobby might be a problem:

1. Traveled 6 hours one way to pick up a grill.
2. Search “Weber” on the secondary market sites each morning before bothering to check the weather.
3. Have saved searches and notifications set up on eBay for specific Weber part numbers.
4. Refer to parts I have bought for grills I haven’t even started yet as “inventory”.
5. Bought a Vieluxe on a whim.
6. Lose sleep over anticipation of the next step in a project.
7. Purchased a 12’x24‘ portable garage specifically to use as a grill shop.
8. Added power, heat, a/c, and satellite TV to same garage to work in comfort year round.
9. Worry about running out of grills to work on if I don’t have a dozen or more lined up in queue.
10. Spend way too much time on this forum.
Man O man I thought others had it under control better than me. 11. Never content.

A few more signs of Weberitis:

11. You know and appreciate the value of a proper 13-1/2" crossover tube.
12. Bruce is honored with the same level of reverence as other famous one namers like Houdini, Socrates, and Gandhi.
13. A redhead stopped being a reference to a woman years ago.

I have learned to curb my impulses unless I find something truly spectacular. It doesn’t always work but, I’m working on it.
I am considering culling some of the herd beginning with the “Simpson’s” Smokey Joe. Well, maybe…

A few more signs of Weberitis:

11. You know and appreciate the value of a proper 13-1/2" crossover tube.
12. Bruce is honored with the same level of reverence as other famous one namers like Houdini, Socrates, and Gandhi.
13. A redhead stopped being a reference to a woman years ago.
Haha....I think another thread should be started...."Signs of Weberitis" or "How to know that you have Weberitis"

I'd like to think I'm in remission with regards to gas grills and kettles.

While it's fun to work on these, I need to shed one or two or three or four and I don't' think any of them are cash-flow positive at this point so it is a dilemma on next steps.

Actually, on your #6, I find that thinking about my next day of rehabbing challenges helps me drift off to sleep.

That impulse is real Roy. Just this afternoon. I waited over 45 minutes in a parking lot waiting for a guy I agreed to buy a Weber 9057 grill out handle light from for $20. Did I need it. No, I have at least three of them now. When he stood me up, I was kind of relieved.

I still have the handle light i bought from you. Bought the LED, the AA adapter, and never ended up putting it on my grill. Just sitting in the box in my garage. :P

Back