Recent Dinners

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
From the past few days...

A salad of baby arugula tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette, ripe local tomato, crumbled goat cheese, chopped cashews.

k004.jpg

Beef and dried mango chili (as here; subbed marsala for the wine and, having no smoked brisket on hand, upped the chuck and added some ground bacon and smoked pap for smokiness). The chili, served over grill-roasted nopales tossed with brown basmati, garnished with a dice of local ripe tomato and a mousse of grilled sweet corn, plus a grilled young spring onion.

k008.jpg

k010.jpg

Last night, a salad of local cucumber and tomato with baby spinach, Morea evoo, lemon, white pepper and ground fleur de sel.

k015.jpg

-- followed by ras el hanout-rubbed lamb loin chops, with garlicky potato planks, and a ragoût of artichoke hearts, onion and scallion, with pomegranate molasses, Chardonnay, thyme, mint, and a smidge of honey.

k022.jpg

ahhh, the joys of fresh, local produce. I was in fla around about this time last year and really enjoyed shopping for fruits and veggies at a farm stand. Not to mention gulf seafood at the fish market (albacore made some excellent ceviche).

we've had some spring-like weather here which has got me out grilling, but it doesn't seem right to have to side it with root veggies or starchy green beans.

Hell's Kitchen? by the looks of Kevin's "tablescapes" I might think he's got a bit of a Sandra Lee side!!!
icon_wink.gif

Thanks all.

Ray-- I hope you've located a good mix. Unless from the merchants in Morocco (while actually in Morocco, not the blends some importers buy) I've not found a commercial mix that is much better than passable. It can still be fine though. The mixes I make run from around 25 to nearly 45 ingredients, depending on what I have at hand. The sources for some of the more 'exotic' ingredients are few, and avaialability can be limited, but I now have a good stash of stuff for making the most involved blends (my favorites).

Keep a little (a very little) rub and a fine sifter or tamis at hand and apply ever so little as soon as the lamb is done, pre-resting. (You will of course have rubbed ahead of cooking.)

Though containing 'sweet' spices, ras el hanout blends should not be sweet (as we know it) as they do not contain sugar. Most blends, however, work best with sweetening post cook, as in a drizzle sauce or in a side meant to be eaten with the meat. In the case above I sweetened the ragoût with a touch of honey and the bit of pom really brought out the flavors of the spice mix --and vice versa. Herbs are not usually included in ras blends so cheat them in elsewhere for some balance. Again, for this, I used thyme and mint in the ragoût. Sometimes, instead, I simply make a sauce for the lamb and include herb(s) and a bit of honey in it.

Kevin

Everthing looks terrific.

I have to go to, Mapquest driving directions, see how far it is from NE PA. to Okeechobee, Fla.

Hey Kevin,

Nice pics and I know the food was great. Glad you are home and cooking again.

BTW, the raz-el-hanut that I have is the best ever. It was given to me by a real friend!

Ray

I was. Gone again -- but it was nice. Atlanta now, then Dallas (Indian food!), then, I think, KC then Vegas.

Yes, that's a good blend, a favorite. Tok me forever to find the orris root and good quality rose petals and cubeb for that one. Fortunately I bought enough of those to last for a while -- vac'd and stashed.

Back