Recent $50 Q320 pickup

Well, I poured some DOT 3 brake fluid in the top of a lid from a 5 gallon bucket. I laid the Q2000 lid in it upside down. After 5 or 6 hours, I scrubbed it moderately with some house hold SS steel wool. It didn't do much. It might have "softened" the powder coating a little, but not to the point I felt it could be a viable solution for stipping the finish off a Q grill lid.

I imagine I could get my sand blaster guy to do a Q3xx lid for about $25 or $30.

I imagine I could get my sand blaster guy to do a Q3xx lid for about $25 or $30.
I've been trying to find places that do this. What kind of business does they guy have? The two old car restoration places only had 30 inch blasting cabinets and they said the q300 lid would be too big.

Look for outfits that do Powder Coating.
I've called a few places and all of them say that since the pandemic started they've been so busy with sand-blasting / powder-coating car parts that they would rather not bother with a grill lid..... lame!

I guess for now I'll use my cup brush to hit the bad/loose spots, then sand the rest of the hood down. Not going to be taking it all down to bare aluminum.

Also looked in my local auto parts stores for stripper that contained methylene chloride, but all of them clearly said they did not contain that chemical.....so I didn't bother trying those out.

Picked up another Q320, this one was 3 miles from my house and only $45.
In much better condition than the $50 one I picked up last year.
Seller said he put new grates on last year.
According to the serial number this is from 2009.

Should cleanup nicely.

20210122_124954_HDR(1)~2.jpg20210122_124959_HDR.jpg20210122_125008_HDR.jpg

BTW that is not a 320 it's a 300. Minor point but accuracy LOL
What is the difference? Electronic spark igniter and the silly handle light?
Everything else seems the same. Maybe one came with the bun warming rack that sits on the grate?

I actually prefer the old style igniter to the newer battery powered ones.

Either way, will make a nice cooker

The 320 has the battery powered igniter, the light and the bun warmer. And yes they're both great cookers. Was just pointing out it's not a 320 is all. Either way you got a tremendous deal

Right, I had forgotten all the differences as well. But, like Kyle says, if I have a Q grill and the electronic igniter goes out, it always gets replaced with a push button piezo igniter. Those electronic ones just don't last on Q grills. I think it is due mostly to being unshielded from the elements.

Back