Rebuilding summit platinum b6

Doug Randle

TVWBB Member
Ok guys could use some help... 2005 summit platinum, already have the grill apart, cart cleaned and put back together with new hardware. Had the end caps blasted and ready for paint.
I‘ve been trying to find a high heat grey to match original with no luck... anybody have better luck?
Barring that, I know there are a lot of people using rustoleum high heat but they have regular and ultra ( semi gloss) in black. Ideas on finish?
Question 2(or is it 3?)can’t find a pot big enough to dye the side tables, has anyone tried the spray die on the cart handles a thermoplastic tables? thanks guys I’d appreciate any help! kinda stuck.....

You might try Stove Bright. They have 30 something colors. I would call them and ask them to send a color card rather than relying on the image below from their website. I used it on my 1000 resto and love it.

https://forrestpaint.com/product/stove-bright-high-temp/

front-and-back-11.jpg

Doug,
I don’t know anything about spray dye. What we have seen here is using close to boiling water and cooking the dye on. It works well with knobs and end pieces, but when tried on durawood slats it did not. I would tend to think you are not likely to have success dyeing the plastic tables because of their finish, but I can’t say I know that for sure. I have seen people paint them. I would be skeptical about how well that would hold up to heavy cleaning, but they do make some really good paint for plastic. I guess if you had to redo every few years it wouldn’t be the worst thing.

I just found a big pot at a local thrift store in my area today. I’m gonna try to dye the tables but since it’s a different type of plastic than the knobs and other parts, not sure it’ll work. I would suggest checking local thrift stores for a cheap one or searching for “large cooking pot” on places like OfferUp
8CBB7896-02B3-4E3E-83E3-52AB06BEDB03.jpeg

Rio, that is so cool. We will be rooting for you and very interested to see how it goes. I know nothing about dyeing (other than what has been shared here) but I wonder if you "cook" it longer if that will make a difference? Also, wiping the pieces down carefully with acetone right before you put them in might be of benefit(?)

That thermoset might just soak it up fine. If not, it might darken them a little which might be OK too. It will be interesting to find out because the material they make them with is pretty unique.

Thanks guys! if you look at my avatar those tables, knobs, and handles were painted with 2x granite satin. held up for several years now starting to chip... Not sure how to remove the old paint to reapply? Maybe sand to scuff and smooth and reapply? Here’s a current pic.
.570BDB51-8A19-4156-9319-26FD7BC539F6.jpeg59CF77A9-2F55-48D1-A470-7852D154871B.jpeg3BDAACD4-E19D-4657-8CEB-2E3ACD306CAD.jpeg

Last edited:
I would think a paint solvent would do it. But why did you paint them in the first place?

I would think a paint solvent would do it. But why did you paint them in the first place?
I think the remover might melt the plastic. The reasoning behind the painting, they were really stained and faded. Couldn’t get them clean looking. After the paint they looked new and matched the sides, Granted this was five ish years ago before I knew about anybody else refinishing them.
I probably would have worked harder to figure out how to clean them better had I known then what I know now....
However...this project is after I get the summit back up and running hopefully by next week.... THEN I’ll take the redo on my Genesis.

Last edited:
I just found a big pot at a local thrift store in my area today. I’m gonna try to dye the tables but since it’s a different type of plastic than the knobs and other parts, not sure it’ll work. I would suggest checking local thrift stores for a cheap one or searching for “large cooking pot” on places like OfferUp
View attachment 17943
Great find! not sure if I’m going to try and stain them or not at this point. I was originally thinking of getting them to black and painting the end caps in black also. but if the HVT paint in cast iron comes out close to factory like the others in this forum, I may try and keep it original.

Doug,
I don’t know anything about spray dye. What we have seen here is using close to boiling water and cooking the dye on. It works well with knobs and end pieces, but when tried on durawood slats it did not. I would tend to think you are not likely to have success dyeing the plastic tables because of their finish, but I can’t say I know that for sure. I have seen people paint them. I would be skeptical about how well that would hold up to heavy cleaning, but they do make some really good paint for plastic. I guess if you had to redo every few years it wouldn’t be the worst thing.
I was just thinking if you baked the tables first to heat them up then spray on the dye it might work but not knowing much about the plastic I’m always a bit worried about melting.....

I think the remover might melt the plastic. The reasoning behind the painting, they were really stained and faded. Couldn’t get them clean looking. After the paint they looked new and matched the sides, Granted this was five ish years ago before I knew about anybody else refinishing them.
I probably would have worked harder to figure out how to clean them better had I known then what I know now....
However...this project is after I get the summit back up and running hopefully by next week.... THEN I’ll take the redo on my Genesis.
Yah, those are different than the thermoset tables. But, I would think something like Citrustrip would work well and not affect the actual table. You might want to consider trying to dye them after you get the paint off.

I obviously missed what you showed about painting. Actually, I would say that it fared better than I would have expected. Going that route just means redoing every few years.

Back