REALLY?!!! The crazy things people do to their grills...

Well, I guess if everyone took good care of their older Weber grills, we wouldn't have any to rescue and rehab. So, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Wow, that one has been treated pretty badly. Good thing it wasn’t in a coastal setting or it would be a pile of red flakes by now. I love those grills. Someone gave me a wreck of one that is in parts now. I sure wish I could pick up one where the frame sides and legs were still redeemable like the one you found. It looks to me like the rust is within fixing and solidifying with POR 15. Most of the ones I see here in Florida have legs that are already rusted off - with the grill propped up with bricks:p!

To me these grills represent the last gasp of the old classic Weber while offering the benefits of the larger and more modern design. Too bad they didn’t make a nice looking open cart option. I hope you can meld your two into one nice working example.

Well, I guess if everyone took good care of their older Weber grills, we wouldn't have any to rescue and rehab. So, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Good point, Bruce! That would be no fun at all - although my wife would be happier:rolleyes:

Jon, my wife as well. But I resell my grills. She just gets a little uneasy when I have 9 or 10 of them stacked up, waiting to rehab.

Jon, my wife as well. But I resell my grills. She just gets a little uneasy when I have 9 or 10 of them stacked up, waiting to rehab.

So far, all of my rehabs have been for charity or as a gift, other than one I did a long time ago for myself. I am currently working on three classic Genesis grills and hope to sell two of them. (That is if I can give up the maroon hood I discovered under flat black spray paint;).) I am very curious to see if there is a market in my area for old Gennys that have been well restored. Don’t expect to make much but at least enough to show my wife that my hobby can bring in money, too!

Jon, I agree completely. I don't make a lot off my grill rehabs. I would be way better off taking a part time job at minimum wage. But, like you, I consider it more of a hobby and one that in the end, doesn't cost money.

I am not sure what your personal grill is, but if it is a Genesis 1000-5000 or older Silver B or C, it is quite possible that you can swap that maroon lid with the original. If you want to get an idea what you can sell your rehabbed grills for, just go on Craigslist and/or Facebook and see what people are selling "uncleaned" grills for. With a well rehabbed grill with everything working and in good order, you can get $200+ for a Genny 1000 or Silver B easily.

Yeah mine too but different reason. I think my current inventory is about 12 mixers for refurb and resale in stock, and 2 currently waiting for bench time for clients

Just KitchenAid brand and only the mixers. They are the only ones (save for the UK made Kenwood product) that is really designed to be rebuilt and re-used not thrown away. They're still made right here in Greenville OH btw. One thing I do also is take note of failure points I see and improve on them so they don't fail again. When I am done the machine may not look showroom fresh (though the ones I refinish do) but they run as well or better than new and I guarantee them for a full year.
Sadly when I market the rebuilt ones when I try to sell them "locally" on say Craigslist or FB Marketplace I get the jokers and butt holes who think they can waste my time with stupid purchase offers. I typically list price my machines at about 50% or less of what they would cost new. I.E. I am currently redoing a Model Pro 610 (this is a big 600 watt over 1 hp 6 qt machine weighing over 40 lbs) and costing new about $650 retail or if through some places as little as $550. I'll typically list these out at $250 give or take a little depending on cosmetics. Inevitably I'll get some butthole who thinks he/she can pester me with "I'll give you $100 it's all I can afford" type of responses. So while FleaBay costs me quite a bit to use and the proper packing and shipping is not easy and a little expensive I get a better quality of buyer from FleaBay who typically sees the value in what I do

Just KitchenAid brand and only the mixers. They are the only ones (save for the UK made Kenwood product) that is really designed to be rebuilt and re-used not thrown away.

I picked up a 100% operational K5-A with a Hobart logo 3 days ago for only $35, and it came with all 3 accessories. That made my day. I also have a K5SS and a "made in USA" KSM90.

Larry, I see those on CL and FB around here (Madison) occasionally. I will send you a tip if I see what looks like a good deal for one you might want to refurb.

And yah, I get those low ballers on CL on the grills I resell. I don't mind giving a guy a $10 or $20 break on a grill I have listed, but when I have a grill listed for $200 and I get one of those, "Hey, I will give you $75 cash right now" it just makes me wonder. One time, I responded to one of them and said, "Sure, I will take that" and never heard back. I think they are just bored trolls.

I picked up a 100% operational K5-A with a Hobart logo 3 days ago for only $35, and it came with all 3 accessories. That made my day. I also have a K5SS and a "made in USA" KSM90.

The K5a is a real tank of a machine. They're only rated for 300watts but they must have measure differently in those days LOL. They're real brutes. There is one at my dad's that my late mother had bought MANY years ago I think back in the early 70's or late 60's. It still looks like it just came outta the box brand new. Sad thing is that there are no more electrical parts made for them. (armature, field coils, speed control plates, etc.) and if you really "use" them that speed control plate will need replacement. I have seen some NOS for them but the people selling them are crooks asking like $70 or more. I have a couple older pieces for them but not much. Be aware that by now the grease in the gear box has definitely failed and if you use it a lot it will gall the main bearing in the front at the power hub ruining the machine. The grease I use on these rebuilds is expensive. It costs me about $25 for a tube and I only get 2 rebuilds from one tube! But once dine it's DONE lol
K5ss another great machine that built on the K5A but added solid state speed control. And the KSM90 is basically the "Classic". The machines all are still made in the USA btw. Hooray for Whirlpool keeping that here.

Back