Really long cook times

Gregory

TVWBB Member
This morning about 1am I got a pork butt going in the WSM. It was about 6.7 lbs before trimming and I got it from Sams. It is now 5:20 PM and it's at 170 degrees. I'm measuring the temp in two places with two different thermometers...one says 169 and one says 170. My temps have been within 225 to 250 for most of the time.

The last pork butt I did took FOREVER as well but I thought it was just because it was older, not as good of quality as previous ones, and it had been in the freezer for awhile.

this current one is fresh and never been frozen. Why would my last two take forever to reach 190? My first 5 butt cooks went very smoothly. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

1am to 5:20pm is little more than 16 hours and little more than 2 hours per pound. I'd say there is nothing wrong given the temp you're cooking at. Sometimes it just takes that long.

Increasing the heat and foiling would get you done sooner if you need to. Browse this site, there is plenty of talk about getting a butt done sooner.

It's BBQ this kind of thing happens, The amount of connective tissue in the butt dictates the lenght of the cook, the more it has the longer it will take. Weather and humidity play a roll also, if a front comes through during a cook cooking times can be increased.
Jim

How and where are you measuring the pit temp? If at the top of the lid, it is slightly cooler at the cooking grate.

You can always bump up the pit temp some with butts. They are pretty forgiving. 250* -275* are not crazy themps with a butt. I don't usually cook that high, but I have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Weather and humidity play a roll also, if a front comes through during a cook cooking times can be increased.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you explain that a little Jim? I've never heard (or read) anything about humidity and fronts having an effect on cooking time.

Thriving on information overload,

JimT

Some meat just takes longer or shorter then others. Butts are a very forgiving piece of meat to cook. I usually aim for 250º. 225º is too low for me. No need to take the extra time for a butt.

In the beginning, I was obsessed with hitting a certain meat temp. Yes it would be done when it hit that temp. What I have learned by doing is that temp is not everything. Learn the feel of a done buttt. Pull it when it seems done. I have never pulled one yet that wasn't ready.

The one huge advantage of a bone-in is if you can twist that bone around and basically pull it out, it good for pulled pork. A lose, but not removable bone is good for choped/sliced pork.

My Opinion anyhow.

Ho Ho Ho!

Back