Read Any Good Books Lately?

1622569620642.png
Rereading book #4 Captiva now. Back in '96, on my birthday, DH surprised me with taking me to a book store where Mr. White was personally signing his books. He signed it "For Joan on her Birthday". Why did I post his picture? Because he looks almost just like my father did. :cry:

I don't think you have to live in Florida to enjoy his books.

Longmire on Netflix is excellent.

My wife handed me, The Boys In The Boat, wonderful sports/teamwork and overcoming long odds book. The University of Washington crew team wins gold in '36 olympics (Jesse Owens won then too). This is well worth your time. After reading this, I ordered books for all three sons.

Steve, I so agree with what you said about "LONGMIRE" I love the books and the series on Netflix

View attachment 29329
RANDY WAYNE WHITE, author of the "DOC FORD" series. I have read all 26 books in the series and am now rereading them.

Sanibel’s cool gulf breezes lured him from a life of danger. Its dark undercurrents threatened to destroy him. After ten years of living life on the edge, it was hard for Doc Ford to get that addiction to danger out of his system. But spending each day watching the sun melt into Dinkins Bay and the moon rise over the mangrove trees, cooking dinner for his beautiful neighbor, and dispensing advice to the locals over a cold beer lulled him into letting his guard down.”
– Doc Ford, Sanibel Flats

Doc Ford, the main character in a series of mystery novels, is a National Security Agency (NSA) agent turned marine biologist living on Florida’s Gulf Coast.

I just saw this thread....it's right up my alley. We live around the corner from the library, which was convenient until the pandemic hit. I ended up buying a Kindle, (which I swore that I would never do), and it's a game-changer. I don't know how I survived without it! My tastes are eclectic....I'll go on reading jags where I try to devour everything by certain authors, or genre's.

I've been revisiting Terry Pratchett lately. Re-read Maskerade & Men at Arms. Currently, I'm reading Christopher Moore, "Fluke"

Just started “Still inside” the Tony Rice biography, very interesting. Style is unusual, lots of anecdotal stories by band members, friends and, family.
I will be taking “Crowe on the banjo, the music life of J.D. Crowe” by Marty Godbey.
I have enjoyed his music for many, many years. I’ve loved the interviews I’ve seen too. Looking forward to this.

If you count audio books, I've had a membership to Audible for I don't know how long (there are 220 books in my Audible library). I mostly listen to sci-fi /fantasy. And will often go through series books one after the other. I try to make sure the series is complete before I start, having been scared Stephen King wouldn't finish The Dark Tower series (especially when he was hit by that van), and was burned by an author who just doesn't seem to want to write book 3 of his trilogy. I spent an entire year listening to The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. That's how I found what has become one of my favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson, as he was asked to finish the series after Jordan died. I should really pay more attention to his blog and stuff like a real fan. I just finished book 4 of Sanderson's Stormlight Archive having thought it was the last in the series. After more than 50 minutes of listening time to its end, I came to realize that wasn't the end of the story, so I did do a little research...6 more to go that he hasn't written yet.

I've also enjoyed Neal Stephenson's books lately.

Now I'm listening to Stephen King's Later. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

D., never thought of that. I am reading 2 series and no end in site. If I wait for either one of the authors to write the last book, I will be dead by then. lol

I'm probably the last to find this out, but I recently found out that on Amazon, when looking at a book, you can click on an audio version and hear a little bit of the book. COOL!!!!! Thanks Amazon!!

I listened to a Dean Koontz novel. Glad I did, won't order that one. I'm not saying that will work on all books, but it helped on that one.

Finished Later. It was a short read/listen, but really good, I thought. Then this weekend I watched the movie Dr. Sleep, which is from the book of the same name (also Stephen King). It's been a while since I read that one, but it seemed the movie was pretty close to the book (at least what I remember), and I really enjoyed both.

Next up is Ms. Adventure one of the very few non-fictions in my library. It's a memoir/autobiography of a volcanologist.

Jason Kasper's Terminal Objective. Part of a series (you really need to read them in order to understand the storyline and concept), basically formally special ops soldiers fighting in a secret criminal organization. A little dark at times and very action packed, if you like the international espionage, gun battle, tactical theme. I do, so thumbs up from me (y).

I really do like reading series books. I like finding out more and more about the main character. Maybe that is why I like it here. lol

But sometimes if the series goes on and on it is sad to see the main character getting older but still acting like he did at the beginning of the series. Like "Stone Barrington". He's still bedding every woman that crosses his path. lol (and I still have at least 15 more of his books to go.):eek:

one of the most absorbing books i've read is John Krakauer's Into Thin Air.....about an Everest disaster.....you can't put it down.
Fascinating story, but I couldn’t get past his hatchet job on Anatoli Boukreev. For all his criticism of Boukreev not using oxygen, the reality is that when the storm hit them during the night, Krakauer was holed up in his tent while Boukreev had the strength to make multiple trips trying to save people.

I used to have an hour drive to/from work & I used that time listening to audio books. I listened to the whole Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, that way.

I don't know if all you fellow book worms are aware of this but, there's an app called "Overdrive" that allows you to read ebooks on your phone/tablet - free - from your local library. All you need is your library card. They also have books in Kindle format. Plus, the library also has audio books for you to "check out". I've been using it for years.

Last edited:
attachment.php

“Man of Constant Sorrow” by Dr. Ralph Stanley. Really interesting, written in an almost “conversational“ tone. The book on J.D. Crowe was excellent!
The Tony Rice book was strange, some was fascinating some was just…fan babble. Sorry, just my opinion

Back