Re-smoking smoked sausages

Bill French

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys. So, I had a cow processed a couple weeks ago and while waiting on them to bring out my packages of beef, I noticed a selection of smoked sausages for sale. I bought a few packages and headed home. I fired up the WSM at 225, added some oak and hickory and placed a package (6 sausages) on it and closed the lid. After about 35 minutes, I checked the temp, it read about 165-170 which I believe is the temp to shoot for. Problem was, the sausages didn't look or taste any different than if I had warmed them up in the oven. In other words, they didn't seem to take in any of the smoke. Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Hey guys. So, I had a cow processed a couple weeks ago and while waiting on them to bring out my packages of beef, I noticed a selection of smoked sausages for sale. I bought a few packages and headed home. I fired up the WSM at 225, added some oak and hickory and placed a package (6 sausages) on it and closed the lid. After about 35 minutes, I checked the temp, it read about 165-170 which I believe is the temp to shoot for. Problem was, the sausages didn't look or taste any different than if I had warmed them up in the oven. In other words, they didn't seem to take in any of the smoke. Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Smoked sausages are usually pretty saturated with smoke depending on the process of whoever made them. I doubt you could add anything. I sometimes smoke fresh sausages the way you describe and it does add some smoke but not a ton. There's a reason why people who make sausage cold smoke them. 35 minutes just isn't a lot of time to get smoke on them. I'm not even sure how much smoke really penetrates the casing. I would think that once the casing is saturated the smoke particles won't penetrate much more. I'm just guessing though.

Makes sense, Dustin. I was hoping there might be a trick to getting some more smoke/color in there. Thanks for the reply.

Smoked sausages are usually already pre-cooked or ready to eat cold or warm. The only way I could add some more smoke flavor is to split them down the middle or do a large slice on the bias and make kabobs or add them to a casserole.
Maybe if you jacquard them or poke some holes you could add a hint more of smoke?

Tim

Bill, next time try smoking some Italian sausages. They will take on some smoke, and taste very good. Give them a try.

Bill, next time try smoking some Italian sausages. They will take on some smoke, and taste very good. Give them a try.

Or Brats. I once stumbled across a post (I believe it was here somewhere) that said to throw brats on at 225ish for 2-3 hours. Read that I'd never eat a brat any other way. You know what, it's true. I but cheap brats and throw them on when I'm smoking anything. Smoker's going, brats are on. They develop such a beautiful smoke ring, and take on some decent flavor.

Timothy/Bob/Mike - great ideas, thank you! Of all the things I've BBQ'd and grilled, I don't know if it gets any better than a good brat!

Back