Rather Small Brisket Flat

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
I've really been wanting to do brisket, but there's no way I can realistically get a full packer without a large majority of it going to waste. As such, I've been thinking it's worth experimenting with smoking a small brisket flat, just to see if that's maybe an option. Didn't have a ton of time Friday night as I was coming home from work, and also because of what was on my shopping list I couldn't really stop at a specialty meat market, so I picked up a three pound Choice flat from Meijer.

9277024427_92f149df49_o.jpg

Enjoying the nice afternoon in the shade with some good tunes and sipping on some bourbon:
9277094715_59496fe6cf_o.jpg

9277024035_fc69b42756_o.jpg

*[SUP]This here is a great little toy I got last weekend-- a Solemate bluetooth speaker. Pull up the tunes on my phone, and away I go with this wireless speaker! Pretty good sound, too-- stereo speakers on the font side, small sub on the back.[/SUP]

One hour in:
9277023937_fbd30816e6_o.jpg

9279806734_7b22f2c2c5_o.jpg

*[sup]I seasoned this with just sea salt and freshly crushed black pepper.[/sup]

Ninety minutes in, possibly halfway done?
9277023439_6d65ec34b4_c.jpg

9279801034_a24fbeea06_o.jpg

*[sup]I flipped it over at this point, putting the fat on to.[/sup]

At the same time, working on some BBQ sauce, too. Using the recipe from a BBQ Flank Steak recipe shared elsewhere on the board, minus the cinnamon.
9279807704_9ddecae286_o.jpg

More updates to come! As an aside-- I really have no idea how this will turn out. I'm keeping a close eye on both pit and meat temp, and am going to do my darndest to make sure it doesn't get overcooked. Hoping this works, as I'd love to do brisket more frequently.

I'm guessing from your second picture that you have at least one dog

Nope, just a hot-spot in the photo-- sunlight coming through the shade. I can see how it might look like a spot a dog constantly pees, though!

I'm three and a half hours in- Maverick is reading 165, confirmed with the instant-reader. Not tender enough to pull it off, but I think it's well on its way. More pics to follow later!

it's going to take some time to get that puppy tender, even a small one. So far, it looks good! Love to see the final pics!

Back to share pics of the final results!

Here we are around the two and a half hour mark...
9279071375_e217978e32_o.jpg

And four and a half hours...
9279071123_158d003bb1_o.jpg

I pulled it off after five hours. Was getting readings of around 180 with both the Maverick and my instant read. Despite it being below that target temp of around 200 for a packer, it was starting to feel tender. After pulling it I wrapped it completely in foil, not tight, but not loose, and let it rest for about half an hour.

Sliced...
9281854252_9c9ec6f20f_o.jpg

Plated with some tots, and topped with that BBQ sauce i made...
9281853992_66d43d9617_o.jpg

My thoughts:

Liked this one much more than the packer I did for family back on Memorial Day. Unlike that one, this one was not over-cooked! This one could possibly have been a little more done, but not much-- it certainly wasn't too tough! All in all, I'm very happy with the results and will certainly consider doing a small'ish flat like this again!

I didn't get a great bark, but I'm thinking that's because I only had salt/pepper lightly coating it-- guessing if I did something more substantial I would have had different results there.

Used three chunks of hickory (first smoke with it!) and one of apple-- really like how that turned out. Up until now I've only used apple wood, and truthfully was getting a little tired of its taste.

Quite happy with the sauce-- had some spicy kick to it but was also pretty sweet.

Outstanding results, Matt! At the moment, flats are my nemesis, as I can never get acceptable results on them no matter what I do. Did you find to smaller flat any easier or harder to cook than a regular-size flat?

Outstanding results, Matt! At the moment, flats are my nemesis, as I can never get acceptable results on them no matter what I do. Did you find to smaller flat any easier or harder to cook than a regular-size flat?

I guess I can't really say-- the only other time I've done brisket of any sort was a 12 pound packer back at Memorial Day.

Will say, though, I didn't really worry about this one as much as that, but I'm sure there were quite a few things at play with regard to that-- didn't spend as much money on this piece of meat, wasn't feeding 20+ people with this one, had sort of done one before, etc.

Back