Random wireless disconnects

DougC

Hi,

I recently bought a ready built HeaterMeter 4.2.4 from a friend.
It took some time for the probes I ordered to come in but I'm finally getting
around to testing it before installing in my electric smoker.

I have the pit probe (Thermocouple) temporarily plugged in and Probe 1 and Probe 2
plugged in, both ThermoWorks. Everything seems to be fine and working well but the
unit will disconnect from my Asus RT-AC68U with DD-WRT at random times. The LCD
still show changes in probe reading but I cannot see the HeaterMeter on my network.
If I power cycle the unit is active again.

I've tried both Dynamic and Static DHCP addresses. Same results. I've looked at the
System Log screen but I only see information dated from some time previous.

The person I purchased it from said he had no such problem and I believe him.

I have some questions that if you could answer might help me try and resolve this.

Does the system log not survive a restart? Is there a way to view the entire system log?
Via SSH maybe?

If a network disconnect were to occur during a live smoke and I rebooted the HeaterMeter
would I just lose the session data? I mean would it keep on operating given current input
data?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Doug

The heatermeter will continue to run, whatever the settings were prior to it loosing connection, and a restart, as the information is saved.

I would see if you are having the connection issue with your heatermeter next to the router if so then you may need to find a closer area for the wifi adapter or add a repeater near the smoker.

I sometimes will loose connection to our main router which is about 30 feet away and has window screens on the windows. If I remove the screen, its fine, but my little $20 wifi repeater which is upstairs and 40 or 50 feet away keeps the connections without issues.

The propone is the raspbery. You need to mount a heatskin to decrease the temperature of the cpu. Alternative is to pur a mini fan in the case.
Some problems are also wit

I'd be highly sceptical that the RasPi is actually overheating. They're spec'd to 70C / 160F.

Yeah, its definitely not a over heat issue, I have had mine in direct sun light no case nrext to the smoker and never had any issues of over heating

Ive had flakey wifi communications when the connection between the rPi and the ATMega was flaky, or the SD Card a little loose... So reseat the SD Card first, then resolder the rPi header and the ATMega socket, pull the ATMega before you solder so you don't over heat it and this will also reseat the chip before you test again.

Back