Rancher using Minion Method

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
I have recently switched to Rancher charcoal and like it a lot. From my logs, I have noted that when using the Minion Method, it takes longer for the Rancher to come up to the selected grate temperature than the new Kingsford. For, example, using the Minion Method, and operating under the control of my BBQ Guru, it took about 1 hour for the Rancher to reach my selected grate temperature of 275 degrees.

What is your experience using Rancher with the Minion Method ?

I have noticed the same results with the Rancher....longer to reach desired temp, but it does burn much longer. I might mix the two next time, heavier on the Rancher, when doing the MM.

I have also noticed the slower start up. I'm thinking about just using K as my starter charcoal for the Minion Method, since it lights quicker and easier.

From reading all the Rancher posts I did what Dino suggests this past weekend. I started my MM with 10 Kingsford lit in the center of my full ring of Rancher (coffee can) and I got up to temp in about 30 min. or less. I really like the using the coffee can as I feel it burns evenly center out . . . also it's kind of cool to setup
icon_biggrin.gif

Rancher also burned for over 24 hours at a min. of 225 at grate, impressive stuff. Also, I didn't have as much ash as others have complained about . . . or at least it didn't seem like I did.

I tried Rancher for the first time this past weekend on a port butt cook. I agree the warm up time is longer but the temperature remained constant and the coals burned throughout the entire cook, something that never happened with Kingsford. I was very surprised when I disassembled the WSM and found the Rancher left half the ash of Kingsford.

I use the Stoker and with Kingsford I would leave my top vent about 1/3 open for the Stoker to control it properly.
When I went to Rancher I now open my top vent wide open for the Stoker to cycle properly.

Thanks for the reply Larry, now I just need to pickup a bag of "K". I like cooking with Rancher, but I like the faster and surer lighting ability of "K". Rancher never failed to light using the Minion Method, but I was finding myself walking by and placing my hand over the top vent to double check just in case.

I've used the Rancher on my last 3 cooks and find no problems with the MM and the Rancher. I light off 3 spots in the charcaol with a propane torch and it comes up to temp pretty fast. Not as fast when using lump but nothing really drastic. Takes about a 1/2 hr verses 20 -25 min with lump. Now I'm using briqs for the first time in 5 years so...... If you are finding it takes longer for it to light and come up to temp just use more lit to start with, and all should be swell.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back