Ranch Kettle Whole Hog

James Tucker

TVWBB Fan
I am going to do a whole hog for the first time ever this weekend. I believe I read something here many many moons ago about a member cooking a 50 or 60 pound pig on his/her ranch kettle. Can anyone give me some advice on the process?

James,
It was mentioned in this thread Hope Konrad Haskins will see this and will hopefully be able to help you out. Whole hog is awesome, hope it goes good!

Steve

Thanks,
I am looking for the "technique" used more then anything. Like butterflied or not, skin up or down, flip the pig or not, temp of the cook, inject or don't inject....

So how did this work out for you? Personally, I'd be more inclined to try the pit method than the Ranch kettle, but that's me.

James, I smoked a 48 pound hog on July 4 2008 on my Ranch Kettle. It took about 6 hours.

However, pulling/chopping/processing the hog took me about another hour by myself. But it was very enjoyable.

You will get about 40% edible meat from a whole hog--a 50 pounder will give you about 20 lbs meat. I have done 20 lb green hams as well, so just be aware that doing a whole hog is more about the satisfaction of doing a whole hog than about producing meat for a large crowd. If you want to produce a lot of meat, use the RK and do 2 butts and 2 hams.

On my 48 lb hog, the ribs were about the size of a pencil! The hams were maybe 4-5 lbs each, shoulders (butts) maybe 3-4 lbs. So, clearly, they don't slaughter hogs that young and small for ribs, hams and shoulders.

This being my first whole hog, I chose to go simple: I rubbed the skin with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkled both sides liberally with salt and black pepper. I wanted to taste the smoked meat much more than I wanted to flavor it up with some rub. Of course, you could inject yours or coat it with your rub of choice. While chopping, I taste tested, and sprinkled more salt and pepper into the choppings.

I removed the head and feet to fit the RK. Very easy--just cut through the knees (hocks?), and through the neck. No need to use a woodsaw as shown in one of the above links - you are just cutting thru raw meat, and then between the vertabrae thru the spinal cord.

I butterflied it, cooked it skin side up for first three hours, then flipped it to skin side down for last three hours. I used small fires under each end of the hog, below the access grates. I did begin to get a little skin burning directly near the fire, and so I foiled the ends to prevent scorching.

When done, I found the skin overall was not so crispy, even with the EVOO, because it was soaked with the melted fat of the hog. I now wish I had started processing by removing the skin first (after the hog was done), and smoking it more while chopping the meat, in order to get a crispy skin I could chop up and add to the meat.

For a drip pan, go to a restaurant supply house, and get either a full size baking pan, or two 1/2 pans--preferable because the smaller ones are easier to handle, especially when full of hot drippings. Line them with foil for easier cleanup. Use a full size baking pan to handle the hog, slide it onto/off of the grill, and to hold it while pulling and chopping.

Don't know about your refrigeration equipment: preferable to leave it at your suppliers until you are ready to prepare it, and then straight onto the RK. But if not possible, you could get a freshly cleaned (new?) plastic garbage can, and put the hog, first inside a garbage bag, then in the garbage can, and ice it down liberally. We don't want anyone to get trichinosis from this party!

I used my BBQGuru, set at 275 pit temp, and set meat target temp at 195. Pit probe was placed near the back, close to the shoulder, body side (away from fire). Meat probe was in the shoulder.

Hope this helps. Please post any further questions...

Thanks Doug that should be very helpful. The hog is supposed to be between 50 and 60 pounds. Picking it up Friday night, injecting and putting in a large cooler full of ice. Saturday morning the cooking starts. How did you flip the little oinker?

Very carefully
icon_smile.gif

To flip it, pick up legs on one side, turn, and roll it back down. You'll see...

I did have to angle the legs a bit to fit the curve of the RK. Don't know how much bigger a 60 lber will be, but I certainly think it will fit--you may have to foil the ends sooner to protect from burning, since they will be closer to and over the coals.

What are you injecting it with? Cider vinegar/spices, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I removed the head and feet to fit the RK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what happened to the good parts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> what happened to the good parts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the feet actually would have fit, but I didn't smoke 'em. I put the head in there next to the body and smoked it, and a few of my friends did eat it. But it wouldn't fit while still attached to the hog.

This was my first whole hog, and a learning experience for me and family/friends.

What should I have done with the head/jowl/leg meat--added it to the rest of the choppings, kept it separate for those who have a taste/appreciation for it or what? I didn't really know myself, as I have only used hocks for beans, and have never had headmeat, tongue, brains, snout, ears, jowls for any meal that I know of...

Just as I have read online elsewhere, and in BBQ books--the men were pretty fascinated/gung ho, and the women were kind of repulsed by the hog. My mother wouldn't eat any of it at the party, because she saw the whole hog, but did take leftovers and ate them the next day, when the whole hog was not such a fresh visualization in her mind! An odd justification I know...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What should I have done with the head/jowl/leg meat--added it to the rest of the choppings, kept it separate for those who have a taste/appreciation for it or what? I didn't really know myself, as I have only used hocks for beans, and have never had headmeat, tongue, brains, snout, ears, jowls for any meal that I know of...

Just as I have read online elsewhere, and in BBQ books--the men were pretty fascinated/gung ho, and the women were kind of repulsed by the hog. My mother wouldn't eat any of it at the party, because she saw the whole hog, but did take leftovers and ate them the next day, when the whole hog was not such a fresh visualization in her mind! An odd justification I know... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It amazing some people are alive, with their attitudes towards eating. This country has an unbelievable appetite for meat, yet most are repulsed by an organ, bone, or the thought of the whole animal. I've seen similar attitudes at pig roasts I've attended. There should be a meat test that you must pass before you're allowed to eat meat that involves a slaughter.

I haven't purchased a whole pig. About the only thing I've done with a pig head was bury a cooked and cleaned one in my back yard (I dug it up a year later and have a cool pig skull). I have read a lot about:

Guanciale is a kind of unsmoked Italian bacon prepared with pig's jowl or cheeks. Its name is derived from guancia, Italian for cheek.(wikipedia)

And I read this:
french laundry at home

Pig jowls (cheeks)are the best part of the pig, steer and most fish.

My method for whole hog is chest cavity pointing up, crack the top(inside) of the spine with a clever and hammer to flatten it out. Inject (simple as unfiltered apple juice and kosher salt works). Peel the membrane. Mop the chest cavity. After 4 hours wrap in foil and cook till meat is 200f. This assumes a 65# or smaller pig. Feet come of and head may need to be cook on the side of the body. I foil the skin from the start.

http://www.bbqinstitute.com/images/webwholepig6.jpg

Although you can cook it pretty side up for looks

http://www.teddybearbbq.com/images/Whole_Hog_Web.jpg

More Pictures Here
http://www.bbqinstitute.com/BBQ_Pictures.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pig jowls (cheeks) are the best part of the pig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Sicilian (native) friend made the same claim. As soon as she got there, she sliced off the snout and popped it in her mouth. Sliced into the jowls, then to the ears, and repeatedly remarked how delicious they were. She explained that the jowls were not regular muscles, but were very special in both sensitivity (nerves), and strength--for rooting into the ground while looking for food etc.

She asked if she could take the head home to enjoy the next day, and I graciously aquiesced (Please get that thing out of here-my wife certainly didn't want it in our fridge!)

J: that French Laundry piece is pretty interesting. Most of us are familiar with head cheese, which is probably similarly composed. Many reactions were about like the lady at the hardware store in the video when first viewing the hog: initial widening of the eyes and mild shock, but game enough to continue and try some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It amazing some people are alive, with their attitudes towards eating </div></BLOCKQUOTE> My mother explained that her mother use to make headcheese, and my dad (raised on a farm) said his family did too. So, it is probaly just a generational thing: most folks today are just accustomed to buying meat on a styro tray wrapped in plastic, and don't really want to think about the full process of how it got there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pig jowls (cheeks)are the best part of the pig, steer and most fish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can second that. I ordered a special at a sushi joint called "grilled teryaki yellowtail(hamachi) cheek." I had never had hamachi grilled and it was awesome, the cheek meat was like butter, and I was surprised how much meat was there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> So, it is probaly just a generational thing: most folks today are just accustomed to buying meat on a styro tray wrapped in plastic, and don't really want to think about the full process of how it got there.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh well, more head for us!

Back