Ranch Handles on 22" WSM

Terry Mo

TVWBB Fan
After being unsuccessful on two previous occasions, I was lucky enough to call and sweet talk a very helpful customer service rep at Weber and purchased a pair of ranch handle assemblies and some black handles. The parts arrived this morning and I had the day off so I got these installed.
100_0409.jpg

100_0410.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0412.jpg

I mounted the metal metal inner handle brackets to the body of my 22" WSM with stainless hardware that I had and the fiber washers in the parts kit. I used stainless fender washers on the inside of the body of the WSM hoping to spread the load of the handle mounting points when the body of the WSM is lifted off the bottom bowl. I used a cloth tailor's tape from my wife's sewing supplies to measure along the outside diameter of the WSM and center the handles on the perimeter the middle section of the WSM. I measured down from the top lip of the WSM center section the same distance as the top mounting screws are for the grill staps from the top lip.
100_0417.jpg

100_0414.jpg

100_0415.jpg

The holes were drilled with a brad point bit after measuring multiple times to make sure I had the mounting hole locations where I wanted. I used blue painters tape on the body of the WSM to mark where I would drill and to keep the bit from skating on the smooth surface of the WSM. I used heavy feed pressure on the drill and a slow drill speed to get through the porcelain coating with out chipping.

I was getting ready to put handles on my WSM so I decided to call Weber and see how hard these handle assemblies are to get...no issues whatsoever. I wasn't exactly forthright on what they were being used for, but I did end up ordering two of them and they should arrive in the next week or so.

I don't have a ranch kettle registered to me at Weber, and because of that, one customer service rep would not sell the handles to me. The second rep told me she could not find the part number in the system to sell me the ranch handle assembly. The third rep was very knowlegeable and helpful and had no issues selling me the parts. She said no problem lets register a ranch kettle and copper kettle under your name, and sold me the parts.

Your pictures helped me out a good bit. I used the part number off the first pic because the guy I talked to couldn't locate the part initially. Once he found it he placed the order. Without your pic I may have had more issues so thanks!

YES, exactly like that. Not sure why Weber does not provide them in the first place.

With the same size ones work for the water pan as well?

Follow up ?

Why not use the already there hole for the top of the inner rack and then simply drill a seperate hole for the other side?

Doesn't seem to matter about exactly where the handles are located does it?

Doesn't matter...unless you are a little obsessive compulsive like me and want them "centered" when looking straight on at the door in the center section.

Originally posted by Stephen:
Follow up ?

Why not use the already there hole for the top of the inner rack and then simply drill a seperate hole for the other side?

Doesn't seem to matter about exactly where the handles are located does it?

IMHO the way Terry installed the handles is best since it would provide the best combination of balance and leverage when lifting the center section, especially if it was loaded with meat and a water pan with either water or clay saucer.

Scotty W.

I believe it is the better way to go. But credit for this idea goes to several people who did this before me. They are much more clever than I.

Thank you so much for posting this mod with the photos...It is difficult ordering parts from Weber as they do not (normally) sell parts to BBQ's that a person dosen't have. This is why they ask for your BBQ's serial number when ordering. Weber doesn't need the liabiliity hassles...That said, even with the part numbers that you provided, I had to speak with two differnt folks at Weber to get an order placed. And placed it is! I can hardly wait for these to arrive. You rock! Thanks again!!!

Well i used the existing hole of the grill support and drilled just one hole and it works fine.

Yes it is not perfectly centered but works just fine.

I agree however that Weber should install handles from the git go.
icon_biggrin.gif

saw the handle assemblies you purchased and also the black handle. why did you also buy the black handles, since the assembly appears to come with its own grey handle? thanx.

I switched all my handles to black...just because it was different and I thought it looked good. Other than that there is no reason to.

I was ordering some other things to Weber and gave the part# to the rep to get the price ($12). She said, well you don't have one. I said, yea, but I would like to add extra handles to each of my lids to make them easier to lift off. She said, oh okay, and asked how many I wanted. Having the part# really helps. Now to figure out how many handles I want/need/will be allowed (wife).

Just got my pair of ranch handles in the mail today. had no problem with ordering...well, maybe i did fudge a bit when i was explaining to the rep what they would be used for. They appear to be very sturdy, and I probably will put a fender washer on the interior side of each bolt for some added strength.

I hate reviving old threads, but....I ordered two the ranch handles from Weber and instead of the handle pictured in the OP, I got this:

photo.jpg

That is the lid handle off a new 26. It's a pos. It will flex when I pick up my lid. When I first got my 26 that was going to be my solution for handles on the wsm, until I used it. Call weber and tell them they sent you the wrong part.

Back