Ran Out of Fuel

Kevin Conaway

I tried my first overnight cook last night with an 8 lb bone in butt. The temperature was about 30F all night

At ~730pm, I fired the cooker using the minion method. I filled the charcoal chamber to capacity and lit a 3/4 full chimney to spread over the unlit coals and wood. I filled the water pan with hot tap water and put the butt on.

Over the next few hours, I fiddled with the vents and kept the temperature between 200 and 250.

I went to bed at ~11pm with the smoker at ~225. I woke up at ~130am and found the smoker at 200. I opened the vents a little to allow more air in and I went back to bed.

I woke up at 7am to find the lid temp at 100 and the internal temp of the meat to be ~140. The cooker was completely out of fuel.

I put about half a chamber worth of coals in and lit a few to go on top and put the butt back on. The time was now ~745am.

At around 10am, the butt temp was well over 190 in several places so I took it off and let it rest for an hour and pulled it.

The meat was very moist, if a bit greasy in some spots and the bark was quite good.

Any thoughts on how I could have handled this better? Both in ensuring that the cooker didn't run out of fuel and finishing the cook when it did?

What did you use for fuel?

Also, next time don't use water in the pan to extend the cook.

I'm also amazed that you went from 140 to 190 in 3 hours. What temp were you running your cooker at during those three hours? On the majority of my butt cooks I can sit in the 160s for 3 hours alone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What did you use for fuel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kingsford Original

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">next time don't use water in the pan to extend the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would the temp have stayed consistent for that long without it though?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I'm also amazed that you went from 140 to 190 in 3 hours. What temp were you running your cooker at during those three hours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too! I ran it at ~250

The last time I cooked a butt overnight my WSM ran for 14 hours between 200 and 250. After 14 hours it was out of fuel. I was using Kingsford Competition and a full water bowl, outside temps were in the 70's. Based on this I think your smoker probably ran for a normal amount of time.

When my WSM died I put the butt in the oven for a few more hours at 225.

Start the cooker later. To evaporate the water in the pan costs you bout 1 lb charcoal, 1 to 1 1/2 hours burn time.
Cold weather & wind both cost you fuel.
Briquettes are a denser fuel source by volume than lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Conaway:
The meat was very moist, if a bit greasy in some spots and the bark was quite good.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My most recent butt was cooked at 275-300 and was the best butt I have smoked. Same size as yours. On about 8 AM and done about 5PM. Re greasy butt, the higher heat melts out the fat much better, IMO, and leaves almost zero stuff to throw away yet leaves very nice meat. No problems with fuel, no foiling and saves time and sleep. Probably contradicts what you believe is a proper BBQ cooking range, but worth one try. Give it a shot and see what you think. Again, JMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I'm also amazed that you went from 140 to 190 in 3 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as you know every cut of meat acts differently...i have had butts sit at the plateau for 6-7 hours, while others just stopped briefly at the plateau.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Bowerman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I'm also amazed that you went from 140 to 190 in 3 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as you know every cut of meat acts differently...i have had butts sit at the plateau for 6-7 hours, while others just stopped briefly at the plateau. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't it be that he was just reheating the meat at that point?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Conaway:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My most recent butt was cooked at 275-300 and was the best butt I have smoked. Same size as yours. On about 8 AM and done about 5PM. Re greasy butt, the higher heat melts out the fat much better, IMO, and leaves almost zero stuff to throw away yet leaves very nice meat. No problems with fuel, no foiling and saves time and sleep. Probably contradicts what you believe is a proper BBQ cooking range, but worth one try. Give it a shot and see what you think. Again, JMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, it's just a combination of time and heat to render the fat. On my last butt cook, I took a couple of 7.5 pounders for 14.5 hours and picked out very little on one. On the other one, the only thing that went in the trash was what was left of the fat cap and the bone. HH and low-n-slow both will render the fat if given the time and heat.

Kevin, since you were up at 11pm and 1:30am, I would check the fuel then. Add if it is lower than you are comfortable with. Even if it ran fine for 4-5hrs you can nap for that long. I have a hard time sleeping very well on overnight cooks, hence my switch to HH brisket and butt. I am going to do some overnighters tho in the near future to to work on my sleep deprivation technique.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was it windy?
How how was the ring filled with coals? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't windy, just cold. The ring was filled to capacity. Had I added anymore briquettes they would have spilled out

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Ford:
Start the cooker later. To evaporate the water in the pan costs you bout 1 lb charcoal, 1 to 1 1/2 hours burn time.
Cold weather & wind both cost you fuel.
Briquettes are a denser fuel source by volume than lump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're saying I should skip the water in cold weather?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So you're saying I should skip the water in cold weather? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would, no need for it (in my opinion); better fuel economy, easier clean-up, no spikes due to running out of water.

Above you asked about the temp being consistent. Yep, no problem at all, once she's dialed in she'll sit there for hours.

I don't know which WSM the OP has, but assuming it's the classic 18.5" size wsm, you can heap the charcoal up over 2.5" higher if you replace the OE water pan with the charcoal pan from a cheap Brinkman water smoker. That's at least two more layers of briquettes worth. The Brinkman CHARCOAL pan holds just about as much water as the Weber water pan since it has a wide, flat bottom. (Around here they can be had for $5 at an Academy Sports or Bass Pro Shop, last I checked.)

Speaking of water pans, I fill my Brinkman pan with water and have no issues, no need to refill until the next morning after plenty of sleep. My wsm is tight enough that I could cook without water and the temp not spike long enough to ruin 'em. However, the water pan is more for timimg as to stretch out the cook (14-18 hr.) to eat the bbq for supper the next night.

Kevin,

If you're a new member, is your WSM also new?

If so, a new WSM usually leaks more air and burns more fuel for the first few cooks. After a little gunk collects, the unit usually seals-up and burns longer (you may need to re-evaluate your vent settings).

I usually use the water pan, and have been using lump charcoal - which usually does not (from what I've heard) burn as long as lump.

The water-pan acts as a heat-sink, which keeps the temps from going too high (spiking). I'm going to try skipping the water and using a clay planter-tray with foil as an insert one of these days. However, I would stick with water or without and be consistent until you have gained a "comfort-level" with your WSM. THEN try alternate methods - it's probably best to change one variable at a time when you're new.

My WSM is relatively sheltered from the prevailing winds - I use it near a picket fence that acts as a wind-break most of the time.

If I plan to leave it alone for a considerable length of time, I do the following before bedtime:
-Stir the coals, to knock burned-up coals out thru the bottom of the charcoal grate. This keeps things from getting blocked-up, which could allow the fire to go too low
-Check the fuel supply. If I'm concerned, I add some.
-top-off the water pan
-I usually check on it once in the middle of the night (once I get my Maverick, I will be able to do this from my bedside
wsmsmile8gm.gif
) I trust it, but I don't expect miracles!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
Kevin,

If so, a new WSM usually leaks more air and burns more fuel for the first few cooks. After a little gunk collects, the unit usually seals-up and burns longer (you may need to re-evaluate your vent settings).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, my 18.5 WSM is relatively new. This was my 6th cook on it.

Speaking of "seals", I noticed that there seemed to be something, probably grease dripping out around the lid thermometer. Is that normal?

Another vote for no water in the water pan.

Instead of a clay saucer, consider a foiled 16" pizza pan. WalMart has them.

Consider an insulating box for retaining heat and extending burn time. Check out Cooking in the Wind, Rain & Cold and Milt DuCharme's Plastic Food Grade 55gal Barrel. Those barrels are about $20 in my area; check CraigsList.

That's probably grease dripping out from the lid thermometer. And it's normal. Could be a bit of creosote too if you've been using lots of wood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
Kevin,

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, my 18.5 WSM is relatively new. This was my 6th cook on it.

Speaking of "seals", I noticed that there seemed to be something, probably grease dripping out around the lid thermometer. Is that normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a wingnut to tighten the gauge, no tools required. However, it's not air-tight, so yes, greasy condensation(?) might follow.

Back