Ramen Umami for the CEO

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
CEO requested what became one of her favorite all time meals and since I still had plenty of my Ramen Broth in the freezer I jumped right to it
If you guys remember early last year I finally nailed my Umami flavor profile and Ramen if not and for my detail this is the link.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?53969-A-Decade-Long-Pursuit-Realized-Ramen-Umami

Soft Boiled Eggs marinating in sugar soy and mirin and into the fridge, defrosting the Broth

DSC00950_zpsirzbstga.jpg

Pork Loin trimmed up, silver skin removed and into a marinade of Teriyaki, Mirin and Japanese Red Chili Oil

DSC00951_zpsx37vhxxx.jpg

Carrots Ginger Garlic and Onion into the broth along with 2TBSP Dashi Sauce, 2 TBSP Oyster Sauce, 1 TBSP Red Chili Oil, 1 TBSP Sesame Oil and one package of ****ake's. Will simmer all afternoon. Oh yea, one large carrot also.

DSC00953_zps8cyjn4pf.jpg

DSC00956_zpskqwqkruu.jpg

Loin on the Genni and done

DSC00957_zpsmz4urw2u.jpg

Ramen Noodles being done

DSC00960_zpsu8uxzl4i.jpg

Broth in, then Ramen, then soft boiled egg, Pork Loin , dressed with thin sliced Radish and Scallion along with Bean Sprouts.

The CEO was very happy, looks good for me :)

DSC00966_zpsg4qujlom.jpg

Time for something smokey

DSC00971_zps5putwhny.jpg

Last edited:
Bill you are a master, I love your flavor profiles. The next time I visit my son in Oxford or my friend in Washington (Changewater) I would like to give you a call.
all thought I don't know when I will return to the great state of NJ. Another very very nice meal.

P.S. I built a house on the Muskineckton (sp?) river years ago. I loved fishing trout there

Bill you are a master, I love your flavor profiles. The next time I visit my son in Oxford or my friend in Washington (Changewater) I would like to give you a call.
all thought I don't know when I will return to the great state of NJ. Another very very nice meal.

P.S. I built a house on the Muskineckton (sp?) river years ago. I loved fishing trout there

Thanks for the compliment Dave, I hope you do make it up here soon. I have Fly Fished the Musky a hundred times, especially love it where it meets the Delaware. Big Fish in there!

Bill!!! That is an amazing post. I was just reading how simple it is to make your own ramen noodles.. If course now I have to buy a pasta maker. 🍜

An extraordinary looking bowl of ramen, Bill. Must have been amazing with those perfectly cooked soft boiled eggs (Jacques Pépin technique, I bet).

This looks incredible. I'm fortunate enough to have an authentic ramen shop in the area (ramen tatsu-ya), and I can attest, it's heaveny.

Awhile back I made the momofuku broth with some braised chashu/pork belly, and some amazing ajitsuke egg. Looks like the eggs are a very similar recipe.

Wow, now I'm going to need to do some ramen on a slow weekend.

You never cease to amaze me Bill! Always look forward to your posts. Those complex cooks that you make look so easy.

Bill, another fantastic cook you always make it look so easy. I'm sure the CEO was very happy.

Back