Ralph's First Ever Brisket

Ralph Grunz

TVWBB Fan
I am so proud of my first brisket that I just had to share a pic of it with my new friends on this site.... It was a 7# flat only; I did not use a rub; just fresh ground black pepper, sea salt and Costcos Mesquite Seasoning (everybody needs some of this in their cupboard)... I started it with the scored cap side DOWN; I flipped it cap up at 4 hours.... I used mesquite chunks; a lot more than usual, I put 2-3 on every hour...... It hit 200 degrees in 7 hours; average grate temp 230-245. (would someone please help me to post pic?)

Ralph, looks great!!! No need to flip 'em. Leave it fat cap down to act as a heat barrier. It'll render just fine. Brisket can take a lot of smoke
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ralph-
What is that contraption that you created with the dolly? It looks like the lid is suspended in midair.

Frank..... I have no clue buddy; I could not even figure out what your question was about until i went to the site that published my photo so I could post it on here... WOW there was a WSM out of Star Wars LOL...... I think that is just a coincidence; for sure, it was not my post... BUT, the more I look at those two pics; the more I wanna know too...... It appears that somebody figured out a system to make his WSM easily portable... my guess it is for some competition team.... I know that if I were cooking comps; I would want an easier way to move 3-4 of them around.... It's hard to see all the details from just those two pics; but I think it is pretty well engineered.... great observation buddy...

I have to add a post script to my brisket cook.... NOBODY, not even my son asked for sauce...... I think that is the greatest compliment that I ever received from any cook. The smoke ring was righteous; I have a pic and will post it soon.... it was very very moist, I was not prepared for that. I expected tender, but not really moist.... I don't think it was pretty enough to win any comps... but if I can just match this with my future brisket cooks.... I will die a happy man...

Back