Raichlen's Project Smoke/Fire

I enjoy his shows. I've watched since his BBQ University specials (before the series) on PBS years ago, and have definitely learned from them. He's not the most comfortable in front of the camera. His dialog delivery can be a little stilted. Still a good watch. I know the sponsors provide all the grills and smokers, but it just seems weird to me that for every show whatever he's cooking on looks brand new. C'mon use it at least a few times before you swap it out. ;)
Love the BBQU shows more than his more recent. But, I do like how he takes BBQ from other cultures and incorporates it into his recipes. He makes me think outside the box. I am trying to remember if his was the first true BBQ and grilling show on a major TV station. If so, he was the one that started this explosion of grilling and smoking that we see today.

Hi Big John, glad to see another Raichlen fan.
According to what I found, George Hirsch had a cooking show called "Grilling" back in 1994.
Then Raichlen and Browne had shows starting in 2003. "Barbecue University"-Raichlen and "Barbecue America"-Rick Browne. Then in 2004 Bobby Flay had a show called "Boy Meets Grill". That's all I have so far.

Reviving an old thread.I used to watch his shows all the time. Project smoke, project fire.

I have his project smoke and project fire books. Kindle versions I think I purchased for $2 on sale each. And I have his rubs book. I think that was either free or $2 also on Kindle.

I do find his rubs to be a little heavy on the salty side. Many are about 25% salt per tablespoon for example. But those are easily modified by replacing some of the salt with one of the other spices.

Hi Tony, do you have any of his books BEFORE "Barbecue Bible"? It is interesting reading. It is like a different Raichlen. lol

Well, this turned out interesting. While looking at his pre "Barbecue Bible" books that I have, I pulled out one titled "Celebration of the Seasons", pub. 10 years before BB. (BB-1998). I found a recipe called "The World's Best Blueberry Pie (DH favorite pie.) So of course I had to check it out. DH said he wants to make it, so I will post the recipe on the "DESSERT" site. Hope to see you there.

My copy of the Barbecue Bible is dog-eared from so much use over the years..
Rich, I think I posted this somewhere here before, but in case you missed it...lol

Back in 2008, I entered a contest and won an AUTOGRAPHED copy of the NEW FULL-COLOR EDITION of "THE BARBECUE BIBLE". They sent me an advance copy of about 150 pages in a clear plastic cover. Wish the full cookbook came like that. lol Which edition do you have.?

Rich, I think I posted this somewhere here before, but in case you missed it...lol

Back in 2008, I entered a contest and won an AUTOGRAPHED copy of the NEW FULL-COLOR EDITION of "THE BARBECUE BIBLE". They sent me an advance copy of about 150 pages in a clear plastic cover. Wish the full cookbook came like that. lol Which edition do you have.?
'98

Attachments

• BB Bible.jpg
    BB Bible.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 3
Yep
I also enjoy Planet BBQ and the barbecue bible and "miami spice" ;)
Hi Anne, I swear that this is just a coincidence. I have been working lately on my Salad binder. While updating the "slaw" section, I came across this recipe in its original form. I had cut it out of our local paper back in Aug. 1997 (The Miami Herald). It is a recipe for "Florida Slaw" from Steven Raichlen's book "Miami Spice". Sorry to say, never made it, (yet lol).

The paper version left out 2 TB. black sesame seeds, wonder why?

I suppose they couldn't find black sesame seed and took the easy way out :) :)

I totally get not making something. I got lots of cookbooks, but they mainly work as inspiration
Except when I have absolutely no idea of what certain dishes should taste like

Same here. 😊
My problem is, too many cookbooks, too many binders full of recipes and no idea what most of them are suppose to taste like. I am really trying very hard lately to weed out as much as I can in both categories.

What is your favorite type of cookbooks. Mine is barbecuing/grilling.

I have several of Steven's cookbooks including The Barbecue! Bible, How to Grill, BBQ USA, and Beer Can Chicken. Been a fan of his for many years! On a related note, is anyone else still waiting for PBS to make Barbecue University available for streaming? I've been trying to find the full series for AGES, but alas, I've had little success. The American Archive of Public TV only has about 7 episodes currently available online.

Back