racks

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
Are most of you guys using the bottom rack on your 18inch wsm or is it more of a hassle then its worth. If you do use it, where do you set the top rack and food on top rack when you need to get to the q on the bottom rack? Also got some ribs smoking right now using the clay saucer and it is fantastic. Rock steady temps and no water mess. I love it. When you cook chicken, are you guys and gals removing the heat diflectors ( water pan, clay ) and cooking it direct heat on top rack? If so how long should it roughly take and do i leave vents wide open to get hotter temp. I know its a lot of questions and i thankyou in advance. You folks have helped me out tremendously. Keep on smoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only use the bottom rack on my 18 WSM when I have to, however I do beans in a foil pan under my butt's alot.

I set the top rack on one of my other grills rack. Some use the automotive drip pan.

Love the clay, got about 5 cooks under my belt with it!

If I am cooking chicken pieces I remove the pan, whole bird I leave it in. My WSM runs about 350-450 with all vents @ 100% and 2/3 to 3/4 load of fuel w/o pan and 300-375 with foiled pan and clay.

Let a meat thermometer tell you how long, way to many variables to have a standard time frame.

Put the meat that takes longer to cook on the bottom rack (Example: ribs on top, butt on bottom). You can spritz with apple juice through the top rack. You can still reach the butt with a thermometer from the door (or use a remote probe, like the ET-73). Last resort, take off the top rack as needed, and place on a very firm table nearby. Work quickly so as not to let in too much oxygen -- you don't want your temps to spike.

I will use the bottom rack for certain reasons: 1) If I'm cooking a large amount of meat and will switch the two racks 1/2 way through a cook or 2) cooking a side such as beans or tators. For me I probably use it 1 out of 5 cooks.

I use a sand filled pan for all my cooks, though it's not hard to get to 350-375 propping the lid and all vents open (and this is in a 22). Cook to temp with chicken.

Back