Rack of pork

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
Was at my local Costco yesterday and noticed something new in the meat department. They had 5 or 6 bone racks of pork. Guess it's basically the equivalent of a beef standing rib roast.

I was intrigued by this cut. I guess it would be good to smoke? Or would it be better grilled?

I have never smoked one but I did grill one a few weeks ago. It was good as pork roasts go but you have to cook them to medium unlike beef which I like rare.

Make sure the chine bone has been cut.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Make sure the chine bone has been cut. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this helps when cutting it into chops later.

my preferred method is to brine the whole roast, rub and smoke to 135*, rest and cut into chops, grill and glaze.

the chop in the top center of this picture was done using this method with a jerk dry rub and glaze.

Dang J,

What did you eat first on that plate? Be honest... even if it was a chip.

I think I would freeze up, not knowing what to do first.

Great job... Gotta try that technique for the chops.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Great job... Gotta try that technique for the chops.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its a bit involved but I developed it after trying some "double smoked" chops out at a restaurant that I really enjoyed. I haven't played with the technique much (once or twice), however I trust it for producing consistent results.

if you want to try the jerk glaze the recipe is here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What did you eat first on that plate? Be honest... even if it was a chip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't recall, but I'm sure the last thing I ate would have been the rice
icon_wink.gif

btw there were apps too

Back