QuliMetal Grates

Bruce,
Thanks for that info. That gives the Hongso a definite boost. I would like to try a set when I thin out my current stock.

P.s. Sold my kettle and a Genesis Silver. At least some action, and even my wife is telling me I can spend some more time on grills. Not this Saturday, as it is committed for working way out in the hinterlands of wild Florida where our church has a property that will soon be hosting a bunch of teenagers getting prepared to go on summer missions trips. But guess what: they want me to clean and prepare the grills they out there:coolkettle:!

Jon, I am having problems getting to my grills and I don't have weather to blame any more. Just a very unusually busy spring so far. Just got back today and leave monday for another week. Then back home but more obligations later in the month and at the end of June a trip out to VT to visit our son for 7 or 8 days. After that, I hope things calm down for while. My non-grill project list keeps growing without any items getting checked off.

Hi,
So I went ahead and bought the ones I posted a picture of....I had $50+ credit from Amazon, and they were a bit more than the Quli, so I will see, and report when I get them......The 9mm and if they do come out to be 304, I believe it's a good deal.....

If those are 304 SS 9mm grates, they should be very good. I wonder what that cut out is in the front middle of each grate? Is that to aid in lifting them out of the grill?

Yes that is for lifting. Something I wish Dave had put in my Wolf grates as each one is so big and heavy and with the custom tighter spacing a bit of a PIA to lift

I've never had the SS rod grates, just the SS stamped Weber ones. I've had no issues with the stamped, 10-15 years on them, are the rod grates better? Do the 7mm sag after a while as opposed to the 9mm, or the 3/8"? I'm in the market for a set for a 2001.

Bob, if you are good with the stamped steel grates, then a quality set of the 7mm rod grates would be fine. Do they sag? If you put a 75 lb turkey on them, maybe.

The solid rod grates are much heavier, will last much longer and maybe the biggest advantage is that they hold heat much better than the thin steel in the stamped steel grates. They are pretty much a lifetime grate solution as well but I am surprised you have a set of stamped steel grates last that long and are still working for you.

How do you use that opening to lift? Is it just when they have cooled down it enables you to put fingers in to help lift

Yah, you would have to wait until they cool to lift them with a bare finger. I have some grilling gloves that would allow me to stick a finger in and pull them up quick, but otherwise, you would want to use some kind of hook tool or wait until they cool.

Next Thing is to find a strong hook tool or figure out what I could use because I guess those grills if your 9 mm should be quite hefty

"Real" men just stick their finger in and disregard the pain and smell of burnt flesh :D Bob, I will tell you from practical experience that if you have been using the Weber stamped grates going to a cheap set of 7mm grates and the chintzy bar spacing you WILL be unhappy. Splurge on a set of GOOD grates thicker bars and tighter spacing. Thicker bars hold heat better, leave less angle for food to fall through and typically a good maker i.e. RCPlanebuyer will put more bars in the "field" to hold the spacing tighter between bars. So combine that with the better geometry of thicker bars you will have a much nicer experience

I can see Larry’s point and definitely agree that a set of rcplanebuyer grates is the class way to go.

However, not everyone’s grilling style and preferences are the same. There are members here who have clearly stated that they are very happy with their 7mm grates. For me, I would personally prefer a set of stainless grates with FLAT tops such as FireMagic Grills offers. Otherwise, give me wide stainless bars or real - not porcelain plated - cast iron grates.

I also get why Larry is a serious proponent of very tight spacing. His grilling repertoire is much more extensive than mine, and there is no doubt that for some delicate foods especially, tight spacing is a great benefit. That doesn’t mean, though, that I have to like it, nor does it make me stupid for preferring wider spaces. My more limited typical grilling (not low and slow bbq) items do just fine with average spacing. I prefer the grill mark patterns that way.

After doing some work for my church on some less than top drawer grills, what I do want is quality high grade stainless rods, not cheap stainless plated or low grade stainless. With rcplanebuyer you can count on getting real 304 stainless without compromise.

I once tried to get him to make me a custom set of flat top stainless grates, but I couldn’t get him to follow up with me, even though I agreed to setup costs, etc. I think he has a lot of business and prefers to do standard sets he is already set up to produce. It is probably just as well, as I have spent enough on crazy grill ideas:eek:!

Last edited:
I have RCP 9mm grates and love them, however, if truth be told, I would probably go with a quality set of the 7mm grates for half the price if I had to do it over again. Both sets will basically last forever and the benefits of the 9mm over 7mm are not that big of a deal to me (except when I am grilling Asparagus), but I usually do that on my Q200 so it is done at the same time as the rest of the meal on the Genesis 1000.

I have RCP 9mm grates and love them, however, if truth be told, I would probably go with a quality set of the 7mm grates for half the price if I had to do it over again. Both sets will basically last forever and the benefits of the 9mm over 7mm are not that big of a deal to me (except when I am grilling Asparagus), but I usually do that on my Q200 so it is done at the same time as the rest of the meal on the Genesis 1000.

I agree Bruce. I love my 9mm rcplanebuyer grates. But I don't find them any better and doubt they'll last any longer than the 7mm American made Bbqparts grates on my other grill. The Bbqparts grates weren't cheap but were significantly less expensive (roughly $40 less when shipping is factored in).

Greg,

I just wanted to clarify with you about the BBQparts grates. Have you tried the magnet test to confirm they are 304 stainless? Bruce and I posted about the other popular options, but I don't think I ever heard for sure about BBQparts which DO look like an attractive option.

Dave,

Thanks for that info! That gives good support to this product which seems to deserve more attention than we have been giving it. I plan to look at trying (along with Hongso) when my stock runs low.

Yeah, I've been really pleased with them. I have not seen a set of RCP grates in person so I can't say for sure how they compare, but regardless I'm happy.

Greg,

I just wanted to clarify with you about the BBQparts grates. Have you tried the magnet test to confirm they are 304 stainless? Bruce and I posted about the other popular options, but I don't think I ever heard for sure about BBQparts which DO look like an attractive option.

Yes as Dave stated they are non magnetic just like the rcplanebuyer grates. Also when measuring the gaps between the grates / bars there is very very little difference between the rcplanebuyer grates and the Bbqparts grates. It's less than 1/16 inch difference. So small as to be negligible and completely insignificant at least for the grilling I do.

Back