Qulimetal grates and griddle for new Genesis 300. (upgrade)??

R Saum

TVWBB Member
New to gas grilling, and new here, (first post), but been doing this outdoor cooking fer decades. I have been a hard headed charcoal griller, for nearly 70 years, as well as for smoking, till recently. I bought an electric Cookshack 15 years ago and have not looked back. Now for just me and the wife, I want easy, and simple.

I just put my 20 year old charcoal grill out to pasture, after 69 years swearing off gas, But at 69 years young, I'm tired and willing to go with LP to make life a little easier. Found a closeout on a New Genesis S 325s at Lowes, with 7mm stnl grates. under $850, I wanted to be able to do breakfast as well. So I bought the Qulimetal griddle. 18.9" x 12.8", this leaves me with a choice of cutting my right side rack down 3 bars to fill the space over the sear zone.

I looked and found they sell the 18.9 x 13 9mm grates. This will fill the right side over the sear zone to let me keep the grill setup for both, griddle and grill, with sear station open for steaks and searing, or grilling. plus the better 9mm grates they sell offer less gap between rods than the 7mm Weber grates have! I then can change the griddle for the other great filling my grill with 50/50 size 9mm grates, and still cheaper than the S 325s sells for.

I tested the griddle this morning, one egg, bacon, and pancake, @ 22 degrees! this will work, had to run the left burner about 3/4 and middle burner on low and had a 350 degree surface with less than 25 degree differance L to R, first attempt, I just got it yesterday!
image852.jpgnew grill jpeg.jpg

So now, the 7mm grates are like 10" x 18.7" for one and 15.5" x 18.7" for the grate on the right that covers the sear zone. BUT! I also bought a Napoleon Rogue 425 TX on closeout for at the lake and want to set it up the same way, 17.5" x 12" for the griddle, and 17.5" x 12" for grilling, as the XT has the IR side burner for searing. So since the Napoleon came with cast, I will have the Weber 7mm to cut down for it and have premium grates for both grills, that griddle works good on the Genesis,.

But might try a stnl. griddle on the top of the grates for the Napoleon, as I am usually by myself at the lake, this is a primitive lake, great fishing, no speed boats or ski jets on any of the 3 lakes, its like my man cave. The wife seldom comes up and only on weekends, I prefer to be gone on weekends I'm a Monday thru Friday guy. I will also experiment with a smoker box on this grill, at home, I'll just fire up the cookshack for smoking. But this is a new adventure for me, and @ 69 years young, new adventures are welcome no matter how significant they are!

10041.jpg10058.JPG

Last edited:
Photos of Napoleon or it's fake :D So, that grill top griddle. The grease is left to run down that hole into the grill itself? Messy? (for the grill). Nice lake place BTW

Photos of Napoleon or it's fake :D So, that grill top griddle. The grease is left to run down that hole into the grill itself? Messy? (for the grill). Nice lake place BTW
Ya a pain no matter how you choose to do it, you either clean it up on a flat top, or take out the grease pan on the grill,,, still gotta do it if you want eggs and pancakes on either, rather deal with one machine.

Ill get on them Napoleon pics soon as I get back up to the lake. Next week hope to give it a break in? Hopefully in the snow!

Have you tried the different Weber crafted grill insert that is recently introduced in this model? Not sure how aftermarket have been catching up with this new design.
Also, should the griddle be staying completely inside the cook box? I saw the front edge sitting on top of the lip of the cookbox
image852-jpg.82869

It n
Have you tried the different Weber crafted grill insert that is recently introduced in this model? Not sure how aftermarket have been catching up with this new design.
Also, should the griddle be staying completely inside the cook box? I saw the front edge sitting on top of the lip of the cookbox
image852-jpg.82869
It requiered about 1/8" trimmed off the 4 tips you see, I cut them almost flush with the gridles main casting. But the crafted to me is a downgrade from better quality grates, as well as 9mm in a better alloy than the Summit is available with. It is a perfect fir now, and some potatoes veggies mix and andouille came out great. But it holds a pretty uniform heat N to S and E to W. Better than my buddies blackstone for fore consistent temp.

This is all I care about is a griddle, for breakfast on hot summer mornings outside, and the best grill grate option I can get. I will probably leave this settup with full 9mm grates and install the griddle when wanted, plus this leaves the sear zone available for a ribeye if I choose steak and eggs, the crafted requires using the sear sear zone area for the griddle.

The only thing I would do different is find a griddle as heavy cast as this one the same size, but would like cast without the enameled finish. Grates will be here Sunday, I'll post any surprises!

There here, finally rain quit and got to try the new Qulimetal 9mm grates. They are a perfect fit to the grill. Plus they are the same size 50/50 coverage allowing the use with the Qulimetal griddle for a perfect fit.
qulimetal 50 50 upgrade.jpgqulimetal 9mm full grates upgrade.jpg

I got them washed dried and already seasoned them for the first cook tonight grates only. Ribeye's red potatoes, grilled shrimp skewers and grilled yellow squash. These truly are an upgrade over the factory Weber stainless grates at a much better price than even their 7mm, let alone their 9mm.

I like this setup much better than the crafted option, and it was way cheaper than that, again as well as an upgrade to them. I highly recamend this manufacture for quality plus affordability.

I like my Crafted Kitchen sear grate and griddle, but that is definitely one very nice setup you have. I have a lot of respect for Qlimetal's offerings in spite of them being "imported." They seem to be trying hard to rise above the pack of 'here today, gone tomorrow" retailers of Asian imported grill parts you see on Amazon.

EDIT: If you like the sear grate idea, I think this one for the Genesis II will also work on your new Genesis.

If I had a new Genesis, I would definitely agree that your setup with that griddle and add in this sear grate would be the way to go. For my 25-year-old 1st generation Summit (with smaller grate size than yours), I am glad the Crafted Kitchen set can work on it.

Crafted Kitchen with Griddle.jpegCrafted Kitchen with Sear Grate.jpeg

Last edited:
I like my Crafted Kitchen sear grate and griddle, but that is definitely one very nice setup you have. I have a lot of respect for Qlimetal's offerings in spite of them being "imported." They seem to be trying hard to rise above the pack of 'here today, gone tomorrow" retailers of Asian imported grill parts you see on Amazon.

EDIT: If you like the sear grate idea, I think this one for the Genesis II will also work on your new Genesis.

If I had a new Genesis, I would definitely agree that your setup with that griddle and add in this sear grate would be the way to go. For my 25-year-old 1st generation Summit (with smaller grate size than yours), I am glad the Crafted Kitchen set can work on it.

View attachment 83126View attachment 83127
The way the new S 325s is made with the sear zone and all 3 burners tightly grouped to the right of center, my goal was to make this a setup where I don't change anything on a daily use basis. The sear zone even with the 7mm grates did great, now with 9mm, even in the rain tonight with 15 to 20 mph wind it perfectly seared the steaks with two rotations of 45* on each side. Along with roasted red potatoes, grilled shrimp, crab cakes, and butter cinnamon and brown sugar squash for desert, all cooked to perfection. But tonight with the weather turning to crap, this test cook went without a hitch, nailing everything. Rain, Wind, 38 degree temps and still nailed it, way easier on my old ars than the work needed to do it on charcoal.

With just me and the wife I have plenty of grill space for grilling, and the sear zone is always available with the griddle idle. Then even on a variety cook like tonight, my last thing to cook being the steaks that only took about 5 or 6 minutes, after my previously grilled taters crab cakes and squash waited on the warming rack. But even using the griddle for breakfast the sear zone is ready if I want steak and eggs with my potatoes, even biscuits if I prefer, then a meal like tonight in the evening.

This was all planned for a couple weeks when I decided to get rid of my old charcoal rig, and go to propane. It woulda been nice to splurge on a Summit or if Napoleon the Prestige here for home. After researching and shopping, I just got to good a deal on this Weber all stainless model to justify another 1K$ or more, and only am out the rotisserie, which I can live without.

Plus I had a plan of 2 grills, one for the lake as well, and the Black Friday deal on the Rogue 425 XT made that a great choice as I'm usually solo except 3 or 4 times a year. I wanted the same setup, and the Napoleon offers a griddle option under 60 bucks for the 425 with 50/50 grill griddle space. Plus the XT has the side burner with their acclaimed IR sear zone, so steaks and other seared items don't interfere with the grilling zone at the same time. So I have nearly the same main cooking zone, and the added side burner or sear zone with the ability to use it as a side burner and pretty much never need or have any advantage to cook in the camper even in the rain, as I have protection under the awning there. So no need for the oven or stove when I'm there.

Plus that grill will be complemented with the cooking station I have built into the deck where the grill goes that is the cabinet on the right the landing net is attached to. That unit is supposed to be here by Thursday, so I'll be finding out how well that setup works by next week. again, space was one of my priorities, and the 425 is larger and should fill the area behind the work station perfectly where the grill you see now resides, as it replaces the throw away two burner dyna glow we put there two years ago. I just hope the Napoleon will measure up to the Weber, but the Weber is working out better than I had planned, and life is easier at my age with it, and the food is pretty dam good to!
Screenshot_20231204_003934_Gallery.jpg

Late breakfast for the first breakfast with the final setup of the new inside of the grill, second on this griddle insert, and now with eggs, pancakes, hash browns, steak, bacon, I can say this is going to work as I was hoping, even at 38 degrees out. The wife, who seldom eats anything but a slice of toast or doughnut for breakfast, will appreciate not cleaning up the kitchen when I'm done doing one of my big breakfasts. But grill spatulas are kinda the wrong tool for flipping eggs over easy, and a tad bit more oil would go a long way. sliding that one egg after flipping is how I broke the yoke.
20231204_130549.jpg

Now the learning curve! With one sausage veggie supper, and two breakfasts, it is obvious I need more than a mist of oil to begin the cook. I'm now understanding the drip tray built into FT and even griddle inserts are for a reason? I need to use more oil! The next thing is on a FT it's better to use griddle tools than my heavy spatula used for grilling, a griddle scraper and spatula are my next purchase. Probably an oil bottle to replace the mister as well.

But I have the griddle setup dialed in, I was very surprised how even the heat is on this whole insert, way better than the couple buddies blackstones. I removed the deflectore over the right burner which is just left of center of the griddle, run that burner at 1/4, the center, of the burner is just ridding the right side of the griddle, run it 3/4 full. after 10 minuets temps on the entire griddle left to right hold 367 to 385 degrees. This held thru this breakfast cook. So I'm guessing probable low on left and half or a little less on the center burner in warm weather should work. I can always reinstall the heat deflector and run the center burner as low as I need if I need to drop the heat more in warm weather. More heat is no problem for biscuits and such.
20231204_142031.jpggriddle setup.jpg

No matter what, this is going to make my outdoors cooking much easier, and most things better. This grill is as easy to set and hold temp as my cookshack SM025 smoker, thats as good as kitchen stove. Last night second Ribeye dinner, and even Thanksgiving days 15# turkeye were spot on, and this grill is brand new to me. I'm glad I made this Weber my choice to replace the old charcoal smoker grill. I will add a smoker box before summer for added flavor when I want it. Right now I'm pretty happy with my investment, and see why so many pass the love to those classic Webers, kinda like Harley's, nobody offers more AM parts to keep those classics kick'n it!

Last edited:
Well it looks like you're getitng the hang of things. Though I will disagree on one point. That is not a "classic" Weber. The "classic" the burners would be going E/W. None the less looks like you will have a good time

Well it looks like you're getitng the hang of things. Though I will disagree on one point. That is not a "classic" Weber. The "classic" the burners would be going E/W. None the less looks like you will have a good time
Not what I meant, I ment with this newest Genesis series, and how well it does everything, I can see why the classics are so loved. I also think the EW burners are a better design. I would have a rotisserie if it were not for the NS burners, one thing I see the new design grills not doing as well, unless you spring for the Summit with the rear rotisserie burner, that was not worth the nearly 2K more and the bigger machine than I have use for.

But Like Harley's, and no the shovels, pans, knuckles, and flats don't offer the reliability the twin cams Evo's and M8s do, but no other brand has as much support from aftermarket as they do. My point is its obvious why so many aftermarket companies target parts to keep both my Harleys, and these Webers from being throw aways like most other brands. Eventually, they will all be classic, (y)

I would not let the N/S burner orientation dissuade you from using a rotisserie. It may not be optimal, but is certainly adaptable. EIther that, or find a used Genesis 1000 and fix it up for a dedicated roto cooker.

I would not let the N/S burner orientation dissuade you from using a rotisserie. It may not be optimal, but is certainly adaptable. EIther that, or find a used Genesis 1000 and fix it up for a dedicated roto cooker.
IDK, I tried adapting it to work on that Summit. Results were terrible no matter how hard I tried. So bad in fact that after I bought the Summit, I had an ad up to sell the Genesis. I fully reconditioned it, made it all spiffy and when I saw how bad of a job the Summit did I took the ad down and kept the Genesis before anyone could buy it.

One of these days I am going to learn rotisserie!

Fortunately, I have no interest in using your old Summit for that. My first try may well be with the old Genesis XXI/Jr. that has a rotiserrie and I think well designed for a small or medium roto bird.

Yah, Jon, I was thinking earlier today about how a JR would probably be a real good dedicated roto grill.

A Junior is a perfect machine for it. Since there is no need for a center burner anyway with spinning. And quite honestly if I did not have the Wolf I would be in market for another old style Genesis.

There is no doubt it would cook, but it just is not going to do the same job evenly as the older grills. I am pretty happy with using my new design in a roasting configuration.

I did a Turkeye on Thanksgiving and placing the 15# bird in the center with the outside burners on and middle off it was great. I did compensate for the rear being warmer by placing the breast to the back, upside down for 1.5 hrs, then breast up, basted and another hour. At 150 degrees I turned the roasting rack to place the legs in the back. Both breast and thighs hit their IT perfectly.

My problem with the rotisserie, is the heat is getting both ends and not able to turn anything end to end to even the heat. The back to front the rotisserie will take care of, but seems if you use the center, where your meat would need to be, I would think now your center is the hot spot??

As for adding a second grill, I just don't have the space.

IDK, I tried adapting it to work on that Summit. Results were terrible no matter how hard I tried. So bad in fact that after I bought the Summit, I had an ad up to sell the Genesis. I fully reconditioned it, made it all spiffy and when I saw how bad of a job the Summit did I took the ad down and kept the Genesis before anyone could buy it.
Since I only have room for one mid to large grill, this S 325s got picked because of the price, I just couldn't turn it down.

Now, if I would have hade to give the $1199.00 to $1299.00 there selling for around here, I probably would have bought the Napoleon Prestige 500 for $1399.00. It comes with the dedicated smoker box, the side IR sear burner, rotisserie with dedicated IR rear burner, as well as a lifetime warranty with some items 15 year. Either way at nearly 70 years old, mostly cooking for 2, probably outlast me.

My big question on your Summit not working, why not? Did it have the rear dedicated rotisserie burner? I'm not as familiar with the Summits or any of the Webers like most here. But I have to think if setup like the Prestige 500 comes, how could you find better? Help me understand here, I'm here to learn.

Back