quick way to put out charcoal after a picnic?

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm having several families come to a park Memorial Day for a bbq. I have been there before and there's no place to dump the coals, so I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to put them out/cool the grill quickly. The last time we went, I tried closing all the vents, and while that worked, it took more than 45 minutes.

I saw this snuff out bag: http://www.northlineexpress.co...froogle&kw=5MF-95963 - It's basically an air tight bag that's flame retardent to 1100 degrees. Could I just drop the coals in there and zip it up?

Or maybe a box with a fireproof interior and a cool touch exterior. Kind of like the opposite of a safe. Anyone ever seen something like that?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

That snuff out pouch looks kinda small. Guess it depends on how much coal you have and how you would get it in the bag. I think a metal trash can would work especially if you can douse the coals with water. You will loose the coals for future use but it should put them out quickly. Of course you gotta dump the water some place before you drive, but that's what tress are for.

Well... even snuffed out, those coals will be hot.

Transfering hot coals to a metal can will make the can hot, maybe too hot to handle.

You might close the vents, douse with a gallon of water, drain, and then use a scoop to put the coals into the Snuff-Out bag while wearing heat resistant gloves.

I think you need to relax. If you're good to go after 45 min, what's the hurry? Shut down the coals and finish your food, enjoy family/friends and 45 min will be up before you know it.

What are you thinking of doing with the coals? Take them home?

I would use the aluminum pan idea with some water and throw the used coals out after being soaked in water for a while to make sure they're out.

First, I would use lump charcoal if possible. It burns hot and fast, but also goes out fast... with very little ash to deal with.

I like the disposable aluminum pan with water idea. Likewise, you could make a pouch out of large heavy duty foil, put some coals and water it, and do whatever you want with it.

With lump, you can also spray your coals down with water and then just close up your grill. It will go out quickly.

just keep it simple. soak the coals in water and then dump the mess into the trash can. this would be one of those times that you don't worry about reusung the coals.

I use an old ammunition case I got from an Army surplus store. I keep a fireplace shovel inside it and use that to shovel ashes.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
That snuff out pouch looks kinda small. Guess it depends on how much coal you have and how you would get it in the bag. I think a metal trash can would work especially if you can douse the coals with water. You will loose the coals for future use but it should put them out quickly. Of course you gotta dump the water some place before you drive, but that's what tress are for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I have a small metal trash can with sand in it.

I pour some of the sand into the lid of the can, dump in the coals, and then dump the sand from the lid back in and seal the can. This puts the coals out very quickly, and the sand keeps the can from getting hot.

Back