Quick review of Stanbroil “stamped” not rod stainless grate for the Q300/3200

Larry, while is typically considered metal where you would expect them to be found in metal products, they can be found in other non-metal products (think lead paint). I think that label pertains to the plastic wrapping as DEHP is "plastic softener". It would probably be a good thing for Stanbroil to clarify whether it is the shipping material or the product that the warning is designed for.

"Lead may also be found on older toys made in the U.S. before the ban. The use of lead in plastics has not been banned. Lead softens the plastic and makes it more flexible so that it can go back to its original shape. It may also be used in plastic toys to stabilize molecules from heat."

Same for Chromium:
"Industrial uses of hexavalent chromium compounds include chromate pigments in dyes, paints, inks, and plastics; chromates added as anticorrosive agents to paints, primers, and other surface coatings; and chromic acid electroplated onto metal parts to provide a decorative or protective coating."
Lol, you can’t be serious about the bag. hexavalent chromium is from heating stainless steel. I have been a pipefitter for 26 years and when the welders are welding stainless some projects now require respirators while welding, and you can imagine how much the guys hate that.

So still waiting. Has ANYONE actually used these grates? Good? Bad? Still waiting

Unfortunately, I bought those grates for my last project on my way out of Florida. It will probably be some time before I ever hear of how they worked in service. If I do, I will be sure to update everyone. The reviews seemed to indicate that you can't expect bold grill marks like cast iron, but that they cooked well enough. Some people seemed to have expected them to stay shiny silver and were unhappy after they seasoned to a dark color.

My comments based on just looking at and holding them was to dispel the thoughts many of use here had that they were really thin and likely to bend under normal use. They are actually very stout. I am sure if you were determined to damage them you could, but with normal use I don't see how they would bend at all.

I am really not as worried about damaging them as to how they actually perform when the heat is on

I read on a couple of amazon reviews that these grates are made from poor quality stainless steel that also rusts (probably 430 stainless) after a short amount of time. If that's the case, I wouldn't bother buying them, could you update us on how well these grates work? Does a magnet stick to them? Thanks.

I read on a couple of amazon reviews that these grates are made from poor quality stainless steel that also rusts (probably 430 stainless) after a short amount of time. If that's the case, I wouldn't bother buying them, could you update us on how well these grates work? Does a magnet stick to them? Thanks.
I know SS changes to a darker color when you put heat to it. If they really do rust, then I don't see a point in buying these. If I'm going to spend time keep a set of grates oiled up, then I'll just buy the cheaper cast iron set.

Hello, I received the cooking grate from Amazon. The magnet sticks to it like no tomorrow, it must be a low quality stainless steel.

Yang, I think people get a little too bent out of shape on one kind of SS vs another. Sure, one is better, but IMO, for grates, it is like the difference between a high grade diamond and a low grade diamond. The average person would never know the difference and either will likely outlast your grill.

Back