Quick review of Stanbroil “stamped” not rod stainless grate for the Q300/3200

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am a couple days from moving, but I have been trying to finish up a Q300 overhaul for use by my church in property they own way out in the hinterlands of "real" Florida.

These grills sit out there and rust away, so I really pushed them to go with Q grills this time. Of course, the one really weak link are those cast iron grates. So, I decided to do something nice on my way out (and also satisfy my curiosity) by purchasing a set of the Stanbroil stainless grates for the Q.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B074S5484G/tvwb-20

They arrived today, so here are my quick first impressions:

1) One thing a lot of us have questioned is how thin they seem to be based on the description. Well, let me put that to rest. A pair of these feel like a pretty stout set of stainless rod grates. Quite heavy. And not really thin. They don't feel at all like they would bend under any kind of normal use.

Stanbroil Thickness.jpeg

2) These don't appear to be "cast" stainless, but more likely laser cut from sheets of stainless.

3) They get overall positive reviews. If you are expecting them to stay shiny silver, forget that. They will season dark pretty quickly. One complaint I have seen is that they don't make grill lines but are a little more like using a griddle. Looking at the design I can see that this makes sense.

Stanbroil Q Grates.jpeg
You can see that the State of California has warnings about all the chemicals you will be subjected to by using these grates. GrillGrates anyone?!!!

Stanbroil Warning.jpeg

4) The real test is to see how they hold up and the quality of the stainless. I failed to do the "magnet test" and I am not home to do it. I will update later.

Overall, these are a pretty pricey solution for a Q300, but for a situation like where my restored Q will be used, they look like they have potential to be a really good solution.

Last edited:
So, even on the Q3xx larger Q grills they seem plenty strong. That is great.
Thanks for the review.

Would appreciate more info and will follow this. As I still have not touched the Q300 I picked up for free last or the year before (I can't remember). Anyway it sits on my deck untouched. If I go with any other grate type these would have my nod as they most closely match the design intent of the Q grates. As for the CA warning label. I think it's for the bag not the metal. But who knows when it comes to the People's Republic of CA

Now, come on, that’s really not very kind. The site owner lives in CALIFORNIA as do many fine contributors not to mention my 95 year old uncle!
Just because the state feels that it must label everything as potentially hazardous to your health does not mean you have to pay attention to the warning.

The warning label should warn people to stay out of the state.

Yeah, it should. Haven't you heard how horrible it is here??? People that hate California are leaving it in droves!!!! Please, do yourself a favor and don't come!!!! And hey flyover states, your welcome for the millions of tax dollars Californians pump into the federal government that never return to the Golden State!!!! :p:D

Seriously guys, this is about rehabbing a grill.....please get it back on track so Chris doesn’t have to remove the post/topic all together.....
Tim

Larry, while is typically considered metal where you would expect them to be found in metal products, they can be found in other non-metal products (think lead paint). I think that label pertains to the plastic wrapping as DEHP is "plastic softener". It would probably be a good thing for Stanbroil to clarify whether it is the shipping material or the product that the warning is designed for.

"Lead may also be found on older toys made in the U.S. before the ban. The use of lead in plastics has not been banned. Lead softens the plastic and makes it more flexible so that it can go back to its original shape. It may also be used in plastic toys to stabilize molecules from heat."

Same for Chromium:
"Industrial uses of hexavalent chromium compounds include chromate pigments in dyes, paints, inks, and plastics; chromates added as anticorrosive agents to paints, primers, and other surface coatings; and chromic acid electroplated onto metal parts to provide a decorative or protective coating."

Honestly that comment was more tongue in cheek. I know a lot about lead issues. Having been a Realtor for MANY years in an area where much of the housing stock was over 50 yo lead was a constant issue to me. And metal contamination is as you may recall due to my mom having a brain scan that lit up with aluminum metals are a HUGE issue in my life.
I just really want to know if anyone is actually using these and done a back to back to the stock CI grates

At first glance, that grate seems really expensive. But after I thought about this for a day,
I have come to the conclusion that while it is pricey, it would make a used Q picked up cheap
a real bargain. Its not all that hard to find a 300 or 3200 for under $100. You add that stainless
grate, and you could have a virtually carefree grill for 10 years.

I agree with you Dave, they are a bit “dear” but, if you are one that takes care of his equipment, these would probably last a very long time indeed.
The whole prop 65 thing from California it’s on anything that passes through or is sold in California. It’s just the way they have legislated it, makes little impact on me.

Dave, while the grates for the Q1xx and Q2xx are very reasonable, the price for the Q3xx grates jumps up quite a bit.
$100 for the grill and $100 for the grates makes it pretty tough to resell it for a price that would make it tough to get a decent return in time and effort IMO.

Larry, while is typically considered metal where you would expect them to be found in metal products, they can be found in other non-metal products (think lead paint). I think that label pertains to the plastic wrapping as DEHP is "plastic softener". It would probably be a good thing for Stanbroil to clarify whether it is the shipping material or the product that the warning is designed for.

"Lead may also be found on older toys made in the U.S. before the ban. The use of lead in plastics has not been banned. Lead softens the plastic and makes it more flexible so that it can go back to its original shape. It may also be used in plastic toys to stabilize molecules from heat."

Same for Chromium:
"Industrial uses of hexavalent chromium compounds include chromate pigments in dyes, paints, inks, and plastics; chromates added as anticorrosive agents to paints, primers, and other surface coatings; and chromic acid electroplated onto metal parts to provide a decorative or protective coating."

The chromium is one of the main metals in stainless steel.

Lead is very common in paint, even today. At work, we test paint for lead all the time and pretty much any oil paint usually tests positive for lead. I believe lead is now banned in interior paint, but it's still common on industrial, marine, and factory applied coatings. Even new cars have tested positive for lead paint.

Last edited:
I buy stuff in plastic bags all the time here in California. My loaf of bread doesn't come with a Prop. 65 warning. The warning is regarding the product, the grates.

Back