Quick question about foiling ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, I don't use a shaker, I just sprinkle by hand.

I also never use the MSG. I'd rather have the natural taste, I doubt if I'm missing much.

I use both my WSM's primarily for ribs and here's what I've learned:

1) Baby Back ribs are worth the price.
2) The BRITU method is by far the best out there.
3) The BRITU COOKING method must be followed pretty closely. Remove the bark and burn the wood down. Don't add any more.
4) I originally had the salty issue as you. I now substitute Kosher salt in the rub recipe.
5) Like Chris says in his article, don't use too much rub. A little goes a long way. Get a shaker to apply it.
6) Use enough fuel. For almost a year I tried skimping with only one chimney of charcoal added to the previous cook's leftover charcoal. After 2-3 hours, I could never kick the temp up to 275+.
7) If I stir the coals and notice soot rising, I'll then 'rinse' the ribs with apple juice from a sprayer. Don't want that dust settling on the ribs.
8) If the ends are dark at the turning point, I foil just the ends. Otherwise I don't.
9) After another couple hours,I remove the foil, baste, and let smoke another 30-45 minutes.
10) Use 'homegrown' honey instead of standard grocery store varieties, if possible.
11) Remove from the smoker, wrap completely in foil, then some towels, and put in cooler to rest for at least an hour before serving.

I've read threads here where people ask how to make ribs that look like the cover of "Smoke and Spice". Mine look like that every time.

I have had two parties recently where I brought 3-4 racks of these ribs. I have had eight strangers tell me they were the best ribs they'd ever had. People who know me already ask for these. My recent modifications were merely following the cooking directions closer..more charcoal and pre-burning the wood. My advice is to re-read Chris' article and follow it as closely as possible. If you're getting salty ribs that aren't tender, you're not doing something right.

And one more thing: I am just not seeing as much of a difference whether I use regular cryovac'd or injected ribs. The last few have actually been injected (enhanced), and they have brought more compliments. Not salty at all.

Wesley....

I suspect your rib slabs were much larger than I cook. If they are spares, even cut to St. Louis trim, they will be almost twice as large as my 2 lb. BB's. That means much more time in the smoker. My spares can take between 8 & 9 hours to finish.

I have used trimmed spares lately for my catering events. They weigh about 2 1/2 lbs. and this small difference adds an hour to the cooking time.

As for rubs.......I have never really liked the BRITU rub, but that is a personal preference. All the rubs I use are VERY light in salt. So light, that I must add salt just prior to serving. To me, this is the "safest" way to use rubs. I can taste the product first...as opposed to hoping my rub has enough or perhaps too much salt....and then season accordingly.

I believe if you go to this method you will never have any hammy tasting ribs as you have taken the salt issue off the table.

Good luck in your next several batches!

Maybe next time I'll pick up a small rack of BB's and give it a whirl. Practice makes perfect I suppose /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi Wesley, I agree with Stogie. The BRITU rub is really heavy on the salt. In fact, I wouldn't call it a "rub" at all, I'd call it a "dust." The first several times I tried it I used too much of it and got the same results you did. Backed off after some tutoring here on the board and it worked well thereafter.

Good luck!

Thanks Pat.

I think this can definetly be a real winner (obviously) and I don't want to give up on it. I'm sure I over did the rub as I like a lot of spice on my food. When I try this again I'll make sure I do a very light dusting. I'd rather under do it than over do it (again).

First time foiler here....I had decent results.
I did 4 racks of baby backs, and they turned out pretty darn good.

I had a lot of new variables to work with, so I struggled some: It was the first time I've smoked where the outside temp was < 60 degrees, I tried some new to me charcoal, and I switched back from sand to water in the pan.

I had a heckuva time getting up to temp, the charcoal was WICKED smokey and didn't seem to burn very hot, and I ran out of charcoal and ended up the cook on the Weber gasser.

All in all, it was AWESOME to smoke in December!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back