Quick question about foiling ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually as I've read through about 20 topics now I'm "***/u/ming" that you do wrap the whole slap in the foil and seal tightly. Correct? If I'm mistaken someone please chirp in.

Stogie?

Wesley,

It's getting mighty cold and white down here in Salem, gonna be a cold cook up in B.V. in the a.m. But, nothing beats that "warm, fuzzy" feeling when your eatin' good "Q". Let us know how the ribs turn out.

Wayne

Wayne I was actually going to post about that. We have about 3" of sleet and ice and it's probably 32-35 degrees right now. Going to start my cook at 10am. I'll just have to keep a close eye on it. I'm considering this my trial run on the kettle so we'll see. I'd at least like to have edible ribs at 4:00 for the Skins kickoff.

Not sure what I'm going to have with it but I'll probably just end up eating the ribs anyway. I'm using the BRITU recipe and I put the rub on at 8:30. I'm not sure if I want to leave it on overnight yet. I figured I'd go with a hint of seasoning vs. over-the-top on the first run. I didn't have a chance to get honey last night so I'll probably run out at 1:00ish when the roads are a bit more clear.

Well they went on at 10:20. I put a full chimney of unlit coals and about 25 lit coals on top. Temp was a bit high for awhile but I think I have it in the 240 range. It's only been an hour but it seems like 5. I've basically stood outside and watched it the whole time. Snowing and all. I do have it on my porch out of the elements.

Well I'm going to chalk this on up as a learning experience /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Did 3 hours on, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour on basting with BBQ sauce & honey.

I put the rub on 2 hours before putting on the grill and it was way too salty for me. The salt taste seemed to overpower everything else. I also thought it tasted like a big ham. Also had the texture like one. Didn't have that fall off the bone feature I seem to love. Not sure what went wrong but I'd love to hear ideas. Temp stayed pretty constant in the 240 range through the whole cook.

Wes,

Couple of questions; Were the ribs you used enhanced, injected with a solution? Would have said so on the package. If they were and you used a rub with salt in it, that would cause the ribs to be real salty.

The "hammy" taste is also a sign of enhanced ribs. I'm thinking that might have been the problem here.

Did you do these on a Weber kettle?

This was a Smithfield vac sealed from our local grocery store (cut St. Louis style). I looked at the package 3 times and could not find anything about it being enhanced. I also made a note to pay attention when opening it to see what poured out. From what I could tell it was just a little bit of blood.

Yes this was on the kettle.

Wes,

Well that was my best shot at the hammy and salty question. That usually comes up here, when someone uses enhanced ribs that are injected with a salt solution then adds a salty rub. They get the salty meat, ham taste. If yours were not enhanced, I'm at a loss.

I have cooked spares on my kettle before over indirect heat and used the 3-2-1 method and gotten excellent results. OH WELL, you'll just have to try again, darn more ribs to eat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm not really sure what happened. I do know they were no where near as tender as I normally get in a restaurant. Again this was my first try so I'm not "too" upset but I thought I'd get better ribs than I did.

Where were the ribs during the 2 hours in the foil?

You didnt take them off the grill did you? By your post it reads like you foiled them and took them off the grill.

I took them off the grill long enough to foil them then put them back for 2 hours. Took them off long enough to unfoil them and put them back for an hour to baste with sauce.

I have tried BRITU a couple of times, the most rescent was actually the day before you did. I substituted Kosher salt for table salt and lightly dusted the ribs, using BB ribs, not spares. I liked the result better than the other times where I used table salt, although I have never experienced a hammy taste.

Just not sure what happened. Maybe next time I'll try without salt and add my own to taste? Would cooking at a high temp for an extended period of time cause the meat to be, not tough, but not falling off the bone? Say my temp was 260ish for the entire time.

i really like the BRITU method and wrap them for the last hour or so as well. When I was first experimenting with it I used too much of it (its easy to do) when I was careful to use just a light dusting I achieved better results. As to the happy taste I would be asking the same questions about were they enhances somehow as that seems to be the issue.

I would try again and maybe use a different source for ribs and go lighter on the rub but its a great recipie don't just chuck it!!!!

Jason, if you use kosher salt in your BRITU how do the big granules come out of the shaker???

you can order it mailorder under the link in the "are rubs worth" thread it above or you can get it in most gorcery stores under the name "accent" neat the spices and salt.
Heres the blurb on MSG.

"Monosodium glutamate is a sodium salt of glutamic acid; it can be made from yeast or sugar beet molasses, or by fermenting special bacteria. MSG has had some bad press due to possible allergic reactions, and we have made a concerted effort to remove it from most of our blends to make our clientele happy. However, MSG has the wonderful property of bringing out the flavor of foods to which it?s added. There are very few tricks in the kitchen as effective for intensifying the flavor of food as sprinkling in a little MSG. Thus, we do continue to make it available. If you are a fan of Pacific and Asian food ? especially Chinese and Japanese ? this is a familiar ingredient."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back