Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First of all, I've been reading these boards for months. This site is great, thanks for all the help.

I have a couple of questions. My brother and I have entered our first competition in a couple of weeks (more for fun and to learn than anything)and I need some help.

1.) How do you present pork butt for judging? Normally when I cook pork butt it is for pulled pork sandwiches (around 195 degrees). What is the proper way to present six identifiable pieces?

2.) I want to try injecting pork/brisket. Any tips on injecting? I tried to inject a brisket a couple of weeks ago and all the marinade just came squirting out when I would pull the needle out. Is the needle to big?

Thanks in advance. Keep up the good work everyone.

Ryan-

I can help you on the first one.... In the pork butt category of a KCBS comp (sounds like that's what you're doing), you just need to have enough pulled pork in the box for each of the six judges to get a portion. You can submit sliced, chopped, pulled or a combination. The FoodTV special on the Jack Daniel's contest showed some good footage of how Mad Momma and the Kids did theirs (1st place, btw). Essentially just putting a big ol' pile of it in the turn in box after saucing and seasoning to their liking. Garnish with lettuce/parsley as you feel appropriate.

I haven't done the injection thing yet.

HTH,
Rich G.

Ryan,

Hey how's Omaha? I was born and raised there. In fact, I was visiting mom just a couple weeks ago. Hit up Soysich for brats and meat, went the the Bohmeian Cafe and the Surfside club. It was lovely!

As for presenting pork butt, as Rich mentioned some teams do well just heaping it on the lettuce. Rich did real well with his pork butt at the last contest he was at. Kicked my *** anyway! So his advice is good.

I judged a contest about a month ago and we had some some real good turn-ins in pork. Some pulled, some chunks, some sliced, and some boxes contained a combination of the above. All nicely arranged.

There are some links to turn-in photos on the KCBS forum that might be helpful to you. They're part of Juggy's Appearance Surveys. If I can find those, I will post the link.

Take care and go Huskers.

Sorry I can't answer your questions Ryan, as you can see, I haven't posted much myself. Just had to say, cool to see another Omaha person. Can't say as I've seen any others. Good luck in your contest....is it a big local one?

Ryan & Henry Joe,

Gosh, I haven't heard or thought about the Bohemian Cafe in a long time. My wife is from Omaha and we had lunch at the Bohemian Cafe in 1969. I remember buying a bumper sticker there that said " Russians Get Out of Czechoslovakia" that I proudly placed on my car. Also had my first Urquell's Pilsner beer - the original pilsner! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reminding me of some good times.

Hi Ryan,
I usually cook two butts for turn in. One I cook to slicing temp around 170*-180* and the other for pulling, like you say 195*. Then I've got a choice at turn in. If all is good I'll line the outside edge of the box with lettuce, fan six slices at the back, put a pile of pulled in front of that and lay six chuncks on the front of the pulled, then I place parsley around to fill in the holes. Remember that you can be judged on any or all samples depending on what the judge takes from the box, so if the sliced doesn't look good I don't put it in.
As for injecting, I have been injecting pork at my last few comps but I'm really not sure yet if it helps. I haven't injected brisket because I've been warned about track marks, what works for me tho is wrapping it in foil for a while with a beef stock that was reduced with onions, garlic and stuff.
HTH,
Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don Miller:
[qb] Ryan & Henry Joe,

Gosh, I haven't heard or thought about the Bohemian Cafe in a long time. My wife is from Omaha and we had lunch at the Bohemian Cafe in 1969. I remember buying a bumper sticker there that said " Russians Get Out of Czechoslovakia" that I proudly placed on my car. Also had my first Urquell's Pilsner beer - the original pilsner! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reminding me of some good times. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Went there for lunch about a month ago. I assure you --NOTHING has changed in that place! I had a nice cold Linenkugels Dark served in a large, ice cold ceramic mug. Combine that with Roast Pork, Czeck bread dumplings and some sweet sour cabbage and you've got yerself a darn fine meal!

Pork is a tough one for presentation. We have tried about everything... sliced, pulled, and chopped and never scored that great in pork. Last couple of time we have sent up pulled and sliced which scored well in presentation but our taste scores varied. Question then becomes... What did they like? The slices or the pulled?

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. I think for now, I'll stick w/ what I know (pulled)and hope for the best.

Bohemian Cafe? That sounds great...I'll think I will have lunch there tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back