Questions regarding poultry

TeddyC

Hey all,

Over the weekend, I used my WSM for the first time. Now, I'm far from new to smoking but I am new to using a WSM. To gain a few tips, I purchased the book Low & Slow. Now in all due respect to Mr. Wiviott, it's a well written book for someone with no smoking experience. I followed his first suggestion of Mojo Crillo chicken. Although the chicken smoked well and the fire was great, I found this recipe to be extremely bland. The next day, I followed my own normal smoked chicken (which I brined and then rubbed) and it came out nearly perfect. I say nearly because I experienced 2 issues.

1 - I used 1 chimney of hot Kingsford briquette coals (when it didn't look like enough, I added probably what equates to 1/2 chimney of unlit briquettes) and three apple wood chunks. There was a lot of wind on Sunday and I assume this was a possible cause why my temperature would not rise above 250 degrees. I prefer my poultery to be cooked around 325 degrees.
My question here is, should I have used 2 chimneys of hot coals. or maybe applied unlit coals and then put hot coals on top. I neglected to mention that I did not use any water in my water pan.

2 - I added three chunks of apple wood that I purchased from Home Depot. Surprisingly, I did have a slight "bitter" taste in my poultery. What could have caused this? Better yet, what are ways to prevent the bitter taste that smoking wood can give.

Thanks all for your input!

A bitter taste could be caused by the wood chances if the fire was not that efficient. Too much wood, not enough oxygen.

Many times the bitter taste can be creasote from a fire that is not getting enough oxygen. I guess the standard q's would be how did you have your vents, and what method were you using to burn your coals? Also, I find that poultry is pretty delicate and 1 tennis ball sized chunk will usually be enough. Too much smoke can cause it to be a little bitter. Also, did you let the temp come up in your pit before you put on the bird? Where were you taking temp at? (lid, grate etc...)

For the standard method I always add a chimney of lit over a 1/2 to 3/4 full ring on my 18.5"WSM. That usually gets me to 325 fairly easy,( measured at the top vent ) but if the weather or the Weby are not cooperating, I'll crack the lid or prop the door.

Tim

Back