Questions on dual grate pork butt cook

Kevin K.

TVWBB Member
I’m going to be doing my first dual grate pork butt cook on my WSM tomorrow night and have a couple of questions.

I’ll be cooking 3 butts weighing a total of 21 lbs. One weighs 5 lbs and the other two weigh 9 and 7 lbs.

From what I’ve read on this board, I should put the 9 pounder on the top grate and the two smaller butts on the bottom. Is this placement correct?

I have a Maverick ET-73. Should I place the food temp probe in the 5 lb butt on the bottom grate assuming it will finish first and then transfer the probe to the largest butt on the top grate, assuming it will finish before the 7 pounder on the middle grate? Finally, should I measure the smoker temp on the bottom grate or the top?

Thanks for the help!

All of your assumptions are correct. Place the cooker thermometer wherever is convenient, bearing in mind the top grate will typically be an average of 15° warmer than the bottom. Given the weights, I would expect the 9 and 7 to finish about the same time, but, as you have also undoubtedly heard, all butts are different.

Back