Questions - 2nd Cook Saturday - brisket and Easter fatties!

Don Gross

TVWBB Member
Originally posted this yesterday in the New WSM Owner section. This is probably a more appropriate spot....

On Saturday I'm firing up the WSM to cook a 9lb. cryo-flat from Sam's for Saturday dinner, and some fatties for Easter brunch.

The impetus of this cook was my desire to have some breakfast fatties for Easter brunch. Since it'd be a shame to fire up the WSM for just a 3hr. fatty cook, I decide to try my 1st brisket. Definitely planning to put up some pix post-cook.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. What's the best way to re-heat the fatties on Sunday? Keep in mind we're singing at 2 services at church so we'll be out of the house from about 9:00 - 12:30.

2. I'm going low & slow with the brisket, not HH. Realizing that any cook time estimates will have a wide range, and probing/temp will define doneness, any suggestions on how early I need to get the brisket on so I'm able to have it resting in a cooler by 5:00pm? I also have some church responsibilities Saturday evening and will be gone from 5:00 - 7:00.

I know, lots of constraints and conditions.
icon_eek.gif

Thanks!

Cooktemps determine timing. If low/slow I'd put it on somewhere between 4 and 5 am.

You can reheat the sausage whole, wrapped in foil, in the oven or WSM (only take to 140-150 or so), or you can slice, fan on o sheetpan or in a sauté pan, drizzle with a little liquid (stock, water, juice, a combo), and heat gently till just heated through - 300 oven or a low simmer.

Thanks Kevin.

I had been thinking early for the brisket, but not that early. I'd rather be taking it off early and having it taking a nice snug nap in the cooler than not be done before 5:00 when I have to leave. So the alarm will be set for
oh-dark-thirty.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm going to have the cooker, chimney, etc. staged for the morning.

I'd love to be able to put the fatties in the oven at a really low temp before I left for church, but I'm thinkin' that even at <200 3+hrs would be too long. So they're just gonna have to wait. Their patience will be rewarded.

Cook update: Phase one fatty construction is complete. One bacon cheeseburger (burger, ketchup, Kraft singles, cheddar cheese, & bacon), two breakfast (pork sausage[one hot, one mild], ham, cheddar, & scrambled eggs). They're firming in the frig waiting to get wrapped in their bacon blankies.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,
Don

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd love to be able to put the fatties in the oven at a really low temp before I left for church, but I'm thinkin' that even at <200 3+hrs would be too long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It would.

Higher temp for a much shorter time, wrapped, will do it. Just get them to serving temp, again, 140-150, tops, and you'll be fine.

Thanks again Kevin.

Signing off to rub the brisket, wrap the fatties in their bacon blankies, and prep the smoker.

Back