Question on installing the resistors

PaulFisher

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone I just got all the parts for my 4.0 heater meter I'm very excited to hopefully build it this week. I have a very simple question I hope. Looking through the assembly page it has details in the installation, do I just need to follow the correct colors as the pictures or is there another way to do it? There seems to be quite a few different resistors just want to make sure I out them all in the right spots.

Thanks

The PCB should have writing on it that indicates which values go where. It would be hard to follow the build guide images because the 10k and the 1k have nearly identical color stripes on them, so it is easy to mix them up. Also some used in the build guide have a tan body versus the blue body resistors in the parts list, so those have slightly different color rings on them too. Just do one resistor value a time and find all the places that resistor goes. This image may be easier to read than the markings on the board:
HeaterMeter 4.0 PCB

Leave all the components in the little anti-static bags they came in. Find the bag with the 10k resistors, take them all out and find where on the board each of them goes. Then repeat for the 1k resistors, etc. etc. It's much easier to use the description on the bag than to use the color markings(even for an EE like me).

Im colorblind, and so I have a very hard time seeing the different bands and like T. Hayes, if I don't have them in a bag either I get rid of it or I use my tester to test each one to make sure they are being correctly put into the correct place on the circuit board

Also, if you're unsure, use a multimeter and you can easily tell what the resistor value is prior to installing it on the board.

Thanks guys it makes a lot more sense after looking at the PCB board and the parts. They all match up, I was confused about the designation on the board such as R15390 but it seems that the R15 just stands for the board location and the resistor I need is 390. I'm such a newb at this. Appreciate the help. Now I need to practice my soldering so I don't mess up the heater meter. :)

Thanks guys it makes a lot more sense after looking at the PCB board and the parts. They all match up, I was confused about the designation on the board such as R15390 but it seems that the R15 just stands for the board location and the resistor I need is 390. I'm such a newb at this. Appreciate the help. Now I need to practice my soldering so I don't mess up the heater meter. :)

For a lot of us, we were new at this too. I did my first HM using no premade circuit boards and all connections were wire connected and using a Linksys router(first time programming a router) instead of a Rpi. I then learned making Circuit boards using an injet and/or laser printer and magazine paper.

Now its fairly easy, Although mistakes still happen, as I have found out recently, when I made two more HM. The first of the two started right up and had no problems, the 2nd one, I still have not figured it out and will likely need to get some new parts and resolder the board. When it comes to solering, remember don't heat the solder first, heat the pad and component together and then bring the solder to the pad(not the solder gun). Wait until you see the pad gets covered in solder and mound up a bit, then remove the solder and lastly remove the solder iron. The solder joints should be nice and shiny. It helps to use a Solder rosin flux, it comes in a gel from Radio Shack and MG makes a liquid. That stuff makes the solder flow much better and gives a really good mechanical joint.

Welcome to the HM world

Hello everyone again. I'm in the middle of soldering the parts on and I'm to the part where it says install the Raspberry Pi GPIO Header. I don't exactly know what that is. Did that come with the Raspberry Pi or is that one of the other parts?

It is the 2x13 socket for receiving the pins from the rPi header. It goes on the bottom of the board in the big row of holes. Make sure you leave the holes that aren't circled off, that's another connector.

Back