Question on Charcoal/Wood Availability

ChuckD

TVWBB Fan
Ive just stumbled upon this smoker thing and its something id like to probably buy, but..... With all this covid crap, and everything being sold out everywhere from week to week, i really dont want to deal with that if i buy one of these. I never see charcoal for sale, but then again im not looking for it. And if i do get a smoker, i want to be able to put some wood pieces in it too..

Is the wood and charcoal a Pain in the a$$ right now to get is my question.. If so,, Im not gonna deal with it right now

Last edited:
Can’t find charcoal? Good grief man, where do you live?? I could buy 300 bags tomorrow in a little town of ~10k. That’s not counting lump, just briquettes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t find charcoal? Good grief man, where do you live?? I could buy 300 bags tomorrow in a little town of ~10k. That’s not counting lump, just briquettes.
Didnt say i couldnt find it.. Was just wondering if it was hard to get before i bought a smoker. every time you turn around something else is now completely out of stock either because of covid, a Malware attack or no one wants to go to work....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your local Walmart not stocked? Ace? I’m not sure what major chains are in your area. Walmart (I don’t buy there but it’s there), Smiths, Sutherlands, Murdoch’s are in my area. I focus on a local Weber and other makes dealer and buy all my stuff there.

All home depot near me is showing royal oak.. Walmart seems to have kingsford. Lowes is shwoing some too.. Ill have to go to these places first.. I went to lowes the other day looking for cedar 2x4.. It said online they had 246 in stock.. went there.. Looked all over the place then asked someone.. He said they haven't had any in months.. so. Anyway.. Ill go look then , for charcoal, before i buy a smoker.. My luck.. Ill buy one and i wont be able to use it because of some friggin charcoal shortage.. Just my luck..

Again, thats why im asking if anyone has had any trouble getting charcoal or wood lately. Wherever you may live.. If peiple are having a hard time getting it, Ill wait.. . that is all

On another note, I just went to amazon and a couple other sites.. You cant even get the 18.5 smoker.. Out of stock everywhere.. This is exactly what im talking about. One site said it will ship in 4 weeks.. NM the charcoal.. lol.. You cant even buy a smoker..

Last edited:
It isn't harder to get but it is more expensive. There used to be sales of Kingsford blue bags a couple times a year but over the past couple years that has gone away. As far as COVID impact on cooking/smoking the only thing I can say is the price of meat. Lowes or Home Depot both regularly stock the 18.5 around here but there is no shortage of charcoal or wood chunks that I can tell.

Check your local craigslist or Facebook marketplace listings, for a smoker, they are not hard to find. As for fuel and smoke medium, I’ve not had any issues with finding that, construction material is another story! Totally unrelated to smoke wood. I have a buddy that has made friends with a cherry farmer and when he thins, Pat gets a call! I need to befriend an apple or pear farmer! It’s there, you are making more headache than necessary. If you’re a member, when Costco does their deal on kingsford competition I’d lay in a few double bags. I was leery at first but, when it was almost the same price as blue bag, I bit the bullet. It is better!

The biggest thing I noticed is that Kingsford twin packs have not gone on sale. I've just been getting it as I need it instead of stocking up for an entire season when on sale.

Awesome. Ty guys.. I just wanted to make sure I could get charcoal.. I did find a smoker on Facebook market place.. ill check it out tomorrow

Back