Question on Basic Baby Back Ribs ?

Chuck Dugas

TVWBB Pro
I'll be doing 6 Baby Back Ribs using the Basic baby back recipie on this site Saturday.
My question is,Will it take longer to do 6 slabs then 3 slabs. Has anyone did this using 6 instead of 3? What adjustments will I have to make? Thanks in advance for any help you give me. Chuck.

I've done different numbers of ribs and they usually take about 5 hours no matter the number.

Originally posted by KenP:
I've done different numbers of ribs and they usually take about 5 hours no matter the number.

Agreed, you shouldent have to make any adjustments. Its not like adding an extra brisket. Ribs are too small to make much of a difference in cook time.

Brandon

I will assume you are going to use both grates with 3 per grate??

You shouldn't have any major change in cook time, but depending on your preference, you might want to rotate the ribs between the racks around halfway thru the cook to ensure they finish about the same time.

Otherwise you might find you pull them off when the top ones are done but the bottom grate might need another 30 min.

Well I have the ribs on. One last question? What temps should I be running? Right now my dome temp is 250° Still get up tight when I do this!!!Thanks for the help.Storm coming in this afternoon. OH NO !!

I just put on 3 slabs myself and I run the temp 225 at the top grate. I leave them on for 5 to 6 hours total time, and they always come out real good.

Thanks Harvey for the info. I'm useing Royal Oak and it's running hotter then KF. I dialed it down a little.Thanks again.Chuck...

250-260 is a good lid range. Don't get uptight about it. Start checking for tender at about the 4 hour mark. Might not be there then, but that's a good time to start checking. At least that's what I have found. Stick a probe or something between bones and if it goes in smoothly, no matter how long the ribs have been on, you are done. Then sit back, have a beer, and enjoy great ribs. Don't go by the clock

Well everyone said it was the best ribs they ever had.That made it all well worth the time.
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-9.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-8.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-7.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-6.jpg
[IMG/SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-4.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-4.jpg

Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
Well everyone said it was the best ribs they ever had.That made it all well worth the time.
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-9.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-8.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-7.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-6.jpg
[IMG/SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-4.jpg
SLEDFORSHANTYRIBDINNERWITHTHEKID-4.jpg

*Thinks to self...hmmm Racine isn't really that far away*

Damn, that looks good. Your WSM is waaaaay too clean. I like the chair/umbrella set up, but notice the lack of a malted beverage.

Bill, Thanks for the complement. As for any malted bev.My beloved wife locks them up untill I finished my BBQ. The last time I drank, the chicken look like a junk yard spare tire.....Stop by next time your in the neiborhood.

nice ribs.

+1 on the drinking...i downed a few too many and lost track of time grilling chicken thighs this weekend...
icon_eek.gif

Back