Question of interchangeability of parts

Mike Tee

TVWBB Fan
I have a silver B, but one of these just came up on Craigslist.

Are the parts compatible? Specifically manifold, flavour bars and grills.

I may or may not even be in time to score it, but hopeful!

MT1589647225993.jpeg

flavor bars are not the same. Silver B uses 5 bars going left to right. The one in the pic uses 2 rows of bars.
Manifold is also not interchangable.

Most people here desire the one you pictured because of the deeper fire box (also not interchangeable) to allow for a more consistent heat distribution.

Rightly or wrongly, I went to see it and didn’t buy.

There was rust on the lower shelving bracket (but not the frame) and the flavourizer bars were destroyed. Maybe I could have drilled the manifold orifices, maybe not - but it seemed like a significant investment to rehab the grill. It had a side burner that I’d want to swap out.

Thank you all for the feedback! So the deeper grill is desirable - is this all grills with the metal hooks in front and the flatter style knobs?

Most prefer the 13 bar deep fireboxes over the 5 bar shallow ones from a performance standpoint. Parts generally cost a bit more though.

Yah, how bad was the rust? If the frame has no rust then I'd consider it as I prefer the deeper box over the shallow one. I wouldn't worry about the bars as you can get a pretty decent set for around $50. If you need to convert it to LP then a manifold swap would be the easiest and I'm pretty sure you can find someone on here that would be willing to sell you one if you're not able to find a donor grill.

Well considering a 13 bar grill is going to be at least 20 years old. then sure, there is likely to be some rust on the frame. But usually, a little grinding and sanding and painting solves that problem. As long as it isn't and enclosed cabinet, the old frames are pretty resilient.

And even if the left side crossbar is rotted off like mine, Bruce’s repair video shows that it is not that hard to replace. Well worth it up here as those old 1000 - 3000 are rare. Looking forward to being able to take the top set of flavorizers out for rotisserie cooking too. 😀

I had a few non rusty 13 bar grills including that 1988 Genesis 2 which was basically rust free. I guess it all depends where the grill was stored.
I personally prefer the later closed cabinet 5 bar grills for one reason only: working height. These old open cart models are very low and I am 6’4” with back problems. I just restored that old 2000 and as nice as the grill looked I would not want to use it. The 3” height difference between these old ones and the later ones mean a lot to me.
i wish one could put a 13bar fire box in a later frame such as the SS Platinum frame but it does not work.

Stefan, this summer, I am planning to take a shot at dropping a 13 bar fire box into a SS Platinum C frame. Does the 13 bar fire box fit front to back OK?

Oh well, maybe I should have gotten this one. Looking at the cost of replacement parts, it seems like starting from this style model is the best idea. I didn’t love the extra width from the burner, so will stick with the smaller B footprint. I’ll keep an eye out - it’s always in the spring that they pop up in my market.

Is there a master doc of which parts fit which grills? And at one time, I remember seeing a post that walked through all of the different models - but I can’t find it on a search. Any pointers?

Both my 13 bar Gen 2000 and my 13 bar skyline have perfect rust free frames. But then again rust is not allowed here in Arizona.

Back