Question for tri tip gurus

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
In the past 6 years I have cooked a lot of tri tips, in all the grades, Prime, Choice, and Select.
To me there is not much, if any, difference in taste or texture between the three.
Do you find this to be true also, or is my palate not as refined? :)

I have experienced the same thing I actually cooked two together a while back one prime and the other select and could not detect any difference.

Thanks for your reply Rich.
Here's a Select I cooked the other day, and it had as much internal fat as some of the Primes I have cooked.

IMGP2567.JPG

To me there is not much, if any, difference in taste or texture between the three
Prime has the most "marbling" and Select has the least "marbling." Prime, Choice & Select don't factor in two of the most important things that I think matter most.

1) Fresh or Frozen (can include frozen-fresh)
2) Aged or not (hung in a meat locker)

IMHO, if you compared an aged & fresh Select to a frozen not aged Prime, the Select would be the better meat. Also (IMHO) it matters where it comes from. You compare a steak from Mexico to a steak from the US or Canada, that steak from Mexico will not be as good, even if it's more "marbled" than the steaks from Canada or the US.

I've seen your Tri-Tip Bob...I'll trade you your cooked by you Select Tri-Tip to my cooked by me, Prime Tri-tip :)

I can't tell between select and choice. I have only done one prime TT and the marbling in it was ridiculous, I didn't really care for it all

Thanks guys.
I know Prime is supposed to be more marbled, but one that I made back in '13 didn't seem to have much more internal fat than a Choice.

IMGP4250.JPG

IMGP4260.JPG

Bob,

If I am looking at that picture right, it looks like you portioned out that tri-tip. Is that right? And, if it is, can you tell me about how you do that? I've always done them whole, which is fine, but I am always willing to try new things, particularly when it means more bark!

Prime has the most "marbling" and Select has the least "marbling." Prime, Choice & Select don't factor in two of the most important things that I think matter most.

1) Fresh or Frozen (can include frozen-fresh)
2) Aged or not (hung in a meat locker)

IMHO, if you compared an aged & fresh Select to a frozen not aged Prime, the Select would be the better meat. Also (IMHO) it matters where it comes from. You compare a steak from Mexico to a steak from the US or Canada, that steak from Mexico will not be as good, even if it's more "marbled" than the steaks from Canada or the US.

Chuck nailed it! IMHO the only difference is if it's been frozen or dried aged. The biggest factor is the cook. Other then that its a scam to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Bob,

If I am looking at that picture right, it looks like you portioned out that tri-tip. Is that right? And, if it is, can you tell me about how you do that? I've always done them whole, which is fine, but I am always willing to try new things, particularly when it means more bark!
Jeff,
I got the idea to do that from member Morgan C.
Don't know if you have a Schnucks down your way, but the one local to me has sirloin steaks on sale this week, $4.99/lb Select, or $5.99/lb for Choice.
Not sure if all their stores do this, but my local one will cut me as many tri tips, at those prices, as I want.
They trim off all fat, and that's fine with me.
Here's a link to my first time making them this way, my wife prefers this method.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56625-Tri-Tip-Strips-and-St-Louie-Cheese-Steak

Back