Question for Flippers

Here in Las Vegas, most are either general for sale by owner or household by owner. I think general for sale hits a wider audience. If you search on Weber both come up along with garage sales.

OK Dan, I think I listed mine under Sports and Outdoors and I think I will go with General next time.

I have used appliances. But I am using CL less and less. I sold most of my grills through FB market place.

Yah, it seems that I am getting more interest off of FB MP as well. Zero on Letgo or Offerup around me. But CL is still a very viable avenue for me. THey just need a dedicated "GRILL" section. haha

It would be nice if CL would offer some kind of in app messaging system instead of the email or text/phone option.

Hmmm, yes it would. However, CL doesn't really have a big revenue source to fund something like that. In fact, I really don't know where they generate any revenue since they don't charge any kind of fees and they don't have any advertising. It would be nice if they updated their whole system. They are still based on a 1990s model of web site. They are already shrinking in popularity and it won't be long they will go the way of the DOS operating system. With the current membership and traffic they still have, they could easily transition over to a more modern system while keeping their simple but effective business model intact.

That is so true. I also wondered how they finance themselves. I think non private sellers have to pay a fee.
And yes it is an outdated system. I love the search options and division in categories. That is way better than the other sites. What I don’t like about Offer Up and similar sites is that the ads don’t expire. I regularly find interesting ads only to discover the items were posted 2 years ago.

Stefan,

I agree with some of the annoyances about OfferUp, but I have to say that it is clearly becoming the vehicle of choice for a lot of people in my area, at least those selling grills anyway. There are sometimes more unusual offerings on my local FB Marketplace, but trying to buy there is not as easy. Right now I plan to multiple list on CL, OfferUp, and LetGo. I don't have a FaceBook account and don't want one. So, for now, I plan to shop on FBM but not sell. CL is definitely fading but still a lot of grills listed.

OfferUp, 5 miles and Letgo are becoming very popular here too. I agree they cannot be ignored. But unfortunately there are too many commercial sellers cluttering these sites. And you can’t filter out these dealer ads like you can on CL.
When I search for Weber on OfferUp and the other similar sites I find 90% dubious dealers trying to sell these brand new highly discounted grills and private offers kind of disappear in the mist of these ads.
And another annoying thing is that you cannot delete conversations on OfferUp. Not sure why they do that. These sites seem to be tailored around harvesting shopping and data profiles. Not that FB is any better. Lol.
Plus all my recent buyers have been in their 50s who have some kind of connection to these older grills. These guys don’t use these new sites but they have FB to stay in touch with the kids and grand kids. 😂

CL- General Household - but always use Weber, BBQ and Grill somewhere in the title or body
of the post. I will also add propane, charcoal, or smoker depending on which item I am selling.
Those tags get the majority of the audience I am looking for.

CL- General Household - but always use Weber, BBQ and Grill somewhere in the title or body
of the post. I will also add propane, charcoal, or smoker depending on which item I am selling.
Those tags get the majority of the audience I am looking for.

Dave,

Very good tips. The words I myself search the most are Weber, Webber, BBQ and Grill. Some of my coolest finds have been using the less obvious words. The Lynx I posted about recently was labeled simply "Grill" and the patent-pending red 26" flat-top I got a year or so ago was labeled "Charcoal grill". I definitely try to put all those words in my ads as well.

Back