Question about using sand in the water pan

Cody Evans

I am fairly new to the WSM, and have about 5 cooks under my belt. I have always used a full pan of water so far, but I want to try cooking with sand in the pan. My question is this: Do those of you that use sand keep the sand in the pan when the WSM is not being used? My main concern is the constant weight of the sand might bend the water pan brackets, causing the pan to eventually fall. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Hey Cody, I used sand for some time only to learn that heat sinks like sand are not needed.
All that is needed is a heat shield and some thing to catch the drips. See the Piedmont pan.
If you just want to use sand, there is no harm, just no need from my experience. Weber over engineers...do not worry about the weight.

I used to use sand but stopped as there was no need IMO. Weight was never an issue. What was though is the inevitable leakage of grease under the foil. Eventually the sand hardened into a solid piece of cement.

Dan

I would not be concerned about the extra weight. I would also recommend reducing the amount of water you start with on successive smokes to see how that affects temperature control. What Steve says is true, but it also overlooks that water in the pan is there to help with temperature control. Water absorbs a *lot* of heat as it boils and that helps to keep the temperature in the desired range (*) when the fire would otherwise take it higher. There may also be some benefit to transferring heat to the meat if the steam generated by boiling water in the pan condenses on cold meat. As you gain skill controlling temperature the benefits of having the water in the pan become less important.

(*) Of course if you desire higher temps, then water in the pan works against your efforts.

best,
hank

So other than temp control, is there really any other benefit to using water vs sand vs empty pan? I'm pretty comfortable with temp control using the bottom vents. Last cook it ran pretty stable around 230* without much babysitting. I use a Maverick ET-732, so I was able to spend my time doing something else. I would like to eventually add an ATC for longer cooks though. My biggest concerns for now is just getting maximum performance with what I already have. I hate cleaning the water pan, so the idea of foiling it appeals to me. Just didn't know if it was better to use water, sand, or nothing at all. Has anyone compared all three methods to see what works best at keeping the temp stable? I can get it in the right range, I just want it to cruise along after that.

Sand will give you the most stable temps.
Water a close second if you keep the pan filled. That's what started this whole debate. I put on a brisket one morning with water in the pan. This was around ten years ago. I then got called into work. When I got home that night I had a charred brisket. So I started looking for an better way to keep the temps stable. I tried epoxying two pans together with an air gap, fire bricks in the pan, crushed rock, and sand. The sand seemed to work the best because it didn't punch holes in the foil and let the grease through into the pan. I used sand for a few years but not the way most people do. I put just enough sand in the pan to be able to push it up the sides of the bowl, then held it in place with foil. I wanted about an inch thick layer, not a full pan. I was thinking, heat deflection, not heat sink.
Later, after experimenting with layers of foil in an empty pan, I continued on with this method for many years. Foil the pan, add a second layer but leave an air gap, add a third layer on top with another air gap. I just lay the foil down and crimp it around the edges to hold it in place. I just wanted food on the bottom rack not to burn.
Now, I had meant for this dry method to be a competition secret, but one of my knuckleheaded friends posted the idea on another bbq forum. and the idea spread. The next bbq season, I drove down from Kansas City to Louisiana for a contest and the Texan next to me was setting up some bullets and he pulled out some pretty, white sand out of a container and filled his water pans with it. I had to laugh when he said he'd read about it on the bbq forum. Since then lots of the great cookers on this forum have come up with some excellent ideas. Two pans bolted together, flower pots, etc. I'll bet they all work great. So, try it both ways or come up with something different. That's what's fun. It's the journey, not the destination.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveB:
Sand will give you the most stable temps.
Water a close second if you keep the pan filled. That's what started this whole debate. I put on a brisket one morning with water in the pan. This was around ten years ago. I then got called into work. When I got home that night I had a charred brisket.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, thanks for posting about your "journey". Much appreciated, and it confirms my feelings about the inadequacies of the original Weber pan compared to the current '09 water pan. That brisket would've been just fine if you could've topped off the new water pan or probably even the Brinkman pan as long as the vents were set appropriately. Certainly can't blame a guy for trying different things to fix an issue though, and thanks again for posting about it! So you're the original "sand man", huh?
icon_cool.gif

Back