Question about Performer grill

I go to a “Ferrell Gas” office, never done a small tank but, they generally do an “honest” weighed/measured fill. And the old guy, since retired, was always really nice. The new staff isn’t quite as “personable”. But, they are $10.00 for a refill as opposed to $19.00 for an “exchange”!
That was one thing my wife’s ex gave good advice on. He didnt have any clue just how wonderful a woman he let get away!

Brian, my 5lb tank still has some propane in it, so I have not tried it yet. I feel confident this will work fine. Keep in mind my tank, although old, it is excellent condition, having been covered it's lifetime with no rust, paint loss, or corrosion, so I feel safe. There seems to be a couple methods online for filling....one by weight and another by opening the bleeder screw. My tank also has the newer OPD valve. I expect when it runs out, I will go with the bleeder type fill rather than the weight. I have calculated the weight filled for my tank, but I'm reluctant on my scales accuracy at that low weight. With the bleeder screw open and liquid coming out, I should reach my tank limit. There are many vids online for how to do this.

It would be my desire to be able to use both the 20lb tank and the 5lb tank using the quick connect. Problem is finding a quick connect to fit the Weber grill male fitting and a hose match up, and also be able to refill my 5lb tank. I'm sure that could be done, but hey the propane is only used for a few mins to ignite the charcoal....and I really don't want a 20lb tank sitting on the ground to do that over time.

I go to a “Ferrell Gas” office, never done a small tank but, they generally do an “honest” weighed/measured fill. And the old guy, since retired, was always really nice. The new staff isn’t quite as “personable”. But, they are $10.00 for a refill as opposed to $19.00 for an “exchange”!
That was one thing my wife’s ex gave good advice on. He didnt have any clue just how wonderful a woman he let get away!
Tim,

I have the adapter to fill the tank but it is beyond the reinspection date. They had one explode in Philly (40 miles from me) and everyone is scared to fill tanks, plus being a 5lb tank that adds to the problem. No one around here will recertify. I'm not afraid to fill mine myself with the setup I gathered.

I had to say it, but, I’d connect to the 20 lb. tank, and just not think about it but it does tie you down a little. I’m glad you sorted out how to get the fiver filled though!

Yes, you can refill a 5 lbs tank from a 20 lbs tank. I've done it a couple times.... very similar to refilling those small 1 lb green bottles off a standard 20 lbs tank.

Kyle, when you have filled the 5lb tanks have you opened the vent screw to tell it is full or do it by weight?
I always open the screw (purge valve) and just wait for it to blow out thick white propane gas....then I know it's full. Opening that screw also helps to force out any air trapped inside the tank.

Thanks Kyle, I was hoping you might say that. It is not easy to do the weight thing with a 5lb tank and the hose and all hooked to it.

I just got my 2004 propane Performer tank re-certified for 5 years and refilled for $12.40, of which $4.50 was for the propane. When I lived in the Seattle area, no one would even look at it.

I just got my 2004 propane Performer tank re-certified for 5 years and refilled for $12.40, of which $4.50 was for the propane. When I lived in the Seattle area, no one would even look at it.
Where did you have it recertified? And it only cost about $8?

Where did you have it recertified? And it only cost about $8?
A local place called Ed Staub and Sons Propane in the neighboring city of Nampa, Idaho. They have 19 locations in ID, OR and Northern CA. I think it was only $7.50 + tax. The guy actually spent about 10 minutes making sure the tank was still OK. He said U-Haul also did recertifications but it was really hit or miss with them. They even had bbq pellets in the office for $15/bag, but they only had cherry, apple and mesquite and I wanted hickory and pecan.

Last edited:

Back