Question about high heat ABT's

Dave K

TVWBB Pro
Can it be done? Can you do them at say 400* on the performer for say 1/2 hr instead of low and slow for 2 1/2 hrs? Just curious if this works or not?

I do it all the time; sometimes a little cream cheese will bubble out but no big deal.

I usually use my performer and use a non direct setup. They cook fairly quickly and the bacon gets fairly crisp. I really don't notice too much difference.

I'll throw some smoking wood chips on the CC and it gives them a hint of smokiness

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordon LW:
I do somewhere in the middle. about an hour to an hour and a half at about 275-300. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm probably in the 350 range for about an hour.

I usually put the ABTs in first and let them go for a while. Then I'll add my burgers or chicken. By the time the meat is done, so are the ABTs.

It's a beautiful thing!

I've only ever done them high heat, not sure what is gained by taking three hours to do them. I also do them on my kettles, indirect. I'm probably 350-375 degrees when I do them, usually finished around the 45 min mark.

yea slow and low = chewy bacon
icon_wink.gif

I'm with Dwayne and Mike. I put them on sometimes use a foil drip pan under them to catch the bacon drippings so it does not cause a grease fire. But then the steak, burgers, etc go on and and the ABTs finish up.

Back