Question about guru eyelets

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
I know the eyelets are intended for running a remote probe through to the inside of the cooker. But I was wondering how it would work out for using my deep fry thremometer. It has about a 12" stem on it. I figure I will probably need to "fatten" them stem up a bit right behind the dial so that it will sit in the eyelet hole and not rattle around. I was thinking of using a couple of layers of electrical shrink wrap tubing to build up the diameter of the stem. Any thoughts? Has anybody done this with the eyelets?

I have a Guru Comp. and the wires are coated and protected as they go into the WSM so the temp is being taken where ever the probe is. I think if you just placed the therm resting on the eyelet you will be getting the temp of the metal it is touching.

That's interesting because I thought the temp was measured at the tip of the probe and not along its entire length. Because basically I am doing the same thing when I stick the thermo through the top vent, it's just a much bigger whole, but the shaft of the probe is still resting against the metal of the vent.

You can run your deep fry thermometer through a Guru eyelet, no problem. Only the end of the thermometer measures the temperature. Deep fry thermometers usually come with a little clip that lets you fasten them to the side of a pot. You can put the thermometer through the eyelet, then put that clip over the end and slide it up tight against the inside of the WSM to hold the probe in place. Or, just ball up a little piece of aluminum foil around the probe and push it tightly back against the wall of the WSM.

My WSM has a thermometer mounted just as you suggest. I gently crimped a short metal tube on the shaft, similar to what Larry D. describes.

The measuring point is just beneath the center of the top grate, but hasn't proven to be very useful, though. It's affected too much by what you have on the grate. When there is a need to track temperatures I get more consistent results relying on lid temperature.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Larry, if thats the case then if a lighter is held in the middle of the length of the therm it will have no reading? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just tried that with the thermo I plan to use and it did not affect the dial reading at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Larry, if thats the case then if a lighter is held in the middle of the length of the therm it will have no reading? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if that were the case turkey fryer therms would be useless as the hot oil would heat the stem up and throw the reading off when you are trying to get the internal temp of the bird.

Back