Question About Grommets for Temp Probe Wires

Larry Powers

TVWBB Member
In the past I have been running the wires for my temperature probes through the top vent and it worked OK. It is a bit of a hassle when taking the top off during the cook.

On my last cook I ran the wires between the lid and the body. I usually have a little smoke leak here and could not detect any additional leaking due to the wires.

After doing some reading here I am considering adding some grommets. It appears that these would be added to the body and would not require you to mess with the wires when removing the lid. Do these create a pretty good air seal or do the cause leaking which I have bee working hard to minimize? I am still pretty new with the WSM and have been able to mop meat on the lower rack through the door. Is there ever a time when it is necessary to remove the top grate during a cook to tend to the bottom grate? If so this could be a problem.

Thanks.

Larry,
Any air leak from the grommets is inconsequential.
I've a wooden rack (or table) of sorts that is the same height as the rack in the smoker so I can just basically swing it out of the way if I have to get to the bottom.
Welcome. Where about in CT?

Also consider running them through the door opening. If I need to get to the bottom rack I put on my leather glove and pluck the probes out and set them aside. I've considered the grommets several times just because but can't see any advantage over using the door.

Marc is right, any air leaks from the grommets are too small to matter. But, if you're intent on sealing the WSM as tight as possible, a little piece of rolled up aluminum foil will seal off the grommets easily.

Originally posted by Larry D.:
Marc is right, any air leaks from the grommets are too small to matter. But, if you're intent on sealing the WSM as tight as possible, a little piece of rolled up aluminum foil will seal off the grommets easily.

X's 2.

I like my eyelets. I like not having to fight the wires when I take off the lid and I feel (could be wrong) that I'm preserving the life of my probes verses running them under the lid.

I ordered the eyelets a few days ago but they haven't arrived yet. I did a butt over the weekend and I had the wires going through the top vent. For me it's a hassle doing it this way and I can't wait to intall the eyelets.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Johnson:
I ordered the eyelets a few days ago but they haven't arrived yet. I did a butt over the weekend and I had the wires going through the top vent. For me it's a hassle doing it this way and I can't wait to intall the eyelets.

Paul

Which eyelets did you order and are you using them on an WSM?

I took a look at both sites and liked the "looks" of the bbqGuru offering better -- and a little better price (didn't check shipping). Rocks' had an interesting extender for the WSM legs to hold the top on to the bottom (without the middle section) to make "super" Smokey grill. Interesting, but easily fabricated in 20 - 30 min. and save $10 and shipping. I bet the "grommet" could be easily "created" from hardware parts also. Rich

I like my eyelets. I like not having to fight the wires when I take off the lid and I feel (could be wrong) that I'm preserving the life of my probes verses running them under the lid.
Same here. Super easy to put on. Easy to use. No smoke leak. Using the eyelet with ET-73 now.
IMG_0954.jpg

I run my 22.5 WSM with a Guru and an ET-73 for remote monitoring. Guru sells eyelets in pairs that will replace two of the bolts holding on your grate and water pan brackets.
Since the Guru probe leads are thicker than the Maverick, I run the Guru pit probe thru one eyelet along with the thinner Maverick pit probe and push them into a probe tree to get goods readings. Then I put both the Maverick and Guru meat probes thru the other eyelet hole and I'm set. The eyelets dont leak a bit. Even with full smoke while starting, I dont see any leaking thru the eyelets.

I will be fabricating grommets this week. It is getting to be a pain holding the lid up with wires coming through the vents. Thanks for the ideas. I'll post pics
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Marc:
Larry,
Any air leak from the grommets is inconsequential.
I've a wooden rack (or table) of sorts that is the same height as the rack in the smoker so I can just basically swing it out of the way if I have to get to the bottom.
Welcome. Where about in CT?

I'm in Milford

Okay, I'll admit it.

I did this on the uber-cheap a few years ago - I just removed the bracket screw.

The bracket is still fairly sturdy with just the lower screw and the grate is well supported by the other brackets. And there's a nice 'coating' on the insides to help 'glue' things in place.

I do intend to install a gromment ... one of these days.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bill Rogers:
Will both probes fit through one grommet or is the idea to have a separate grommet for each probe?

Bill

For more detail on this, search for the post by JLRodriquez in his mod to make grommets. Two grommets through the center section (one each cook level) for less than $5.00. He just bought a section of lamp grommet for a cord (hollow tube threaded outside), drilled a couple of 3/8" holes after first putting blue tape inside and out at the drill point, threaded 1/2" of grommet through and added a nut inside and out for looks. I did the same, but painted the drilled hole with black exterior enamel, and added a grommet cap to completely close it off when not in use (minor). I think you could get 2 probes through one hole if you want. Home Depot and Lowe's have the parts (but my Lowe's didn't have the nuts!). Rich

Great idea, using threaded lamp tubing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a Link to the Grommet Mod from JL Rodriquez.
Tried searching for it with "find" and came up dry.
icon_frown.gif

I looked for "brass" or "stainless steel" at HD and a number of other places, but only found "plated" steel ones, all from the same Taiwanese manufacturer. So much for the "selection" at big box stores.
icon_confused.gif

The plated stuff will probably last OK, if coated with "high heat" paint first, then again after installation.

Back